diarrhea outside the litterbox....

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Georgia has had chronic loose stools pretty much since we've had her.

We've tried pumpkin in her wet food and grain free kibble (Taste of the Wild) and nothing has worked!

I'm going to take her back to the vet and see if there's anything they can do.

But the very weird part is my husband is convinced she deliberately does it outside the box when he's just cleaned out the box.

It is very strange - a fresh clean litterbox and within 24 hours she makes a wet messy poo on the edge of the box and outside of it.

Does she have that bad aim!?

Or is this a territorial thing?!

Could it be related to having chronic loose stools?

Like some sort of anxiety issue?

She's a very outgoing cat.  Very affectionate, but also very bossy. (always pushing the other cats aside at the kibble bowl).

She lives with 3 other cats, but she was actually the last one we got!

So it's not like she was there first.

Any ideas...?

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you taken her to the vet and ruled out ghardia, worms, intestinal infections?  I would have all those ruled out before trying to change her diet because that will only make it worse for awhile. 

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Diarrhea is usually accompanied by pain, and your cat has likely started to associate that pain with the litterbox. It's a very common thing for cats with loose stools and UTIs.

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my vet gave me flora - kind of like a yogurt. my cat had this problem when i first adopted her from a shelter; she has always had a sensitive colon but since the 'flora' - added to her meal - she has improved and now, 2 years later does not have this problem. what  learnt is that my dear luna is very sensitive to emotions and is in tune with me; i try to make her life kind of boring and nice and affectionate but...when i cry...she seems to respond in turn. you seem to me to have a very considerate and kind kitty!

misstorri

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who was doing the same thing and he had Pancreatitis. I felt horrible b/c I thought it was behavioral and here he was trying to tell me something! He always had loose stools even after the infection cleared, a special diet and sometimes rice and baby food but he always went in the box after the panceratitis went away! I would investagate further with your dr.