Diarrhea, but which cat?

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have three cats, so often when there's a problem (vomiting, diarrhea, etc.), I can't tell which cat is affected. Someone is having chronic diarrhea. Yesterday evening, someone vomited (no one witnessed it), and several hours later, someone (I think I know who, since another family member was in the room, and although he didn't notice who went to the box, another cat was on the couch with him, so she can be ruled out. Could it be that one poor little girl had both things happen in a relatively short period?) Once or even twice a day, most days, what I find in the litterbox is essentially a light brown "goo," and it's often spattered on the sides of the box (I use large plastic storage bins with an opening cut in to allow access), and sometimes dribbled at the entry, as if the cat couldn't get into the box quite in time. I have some suspicions about which cat it is but am hesitant to call the vet for an appointment unless I'm sure. I adopted two new cats four months ago, and the problem became noticeable after that; although my older cat occasionally had diarrhea, it wasn't like this, and certainly not so frequently. What's a good way to pinpoint who is responsible? I have four litter boxes, all scattered on the upper floor of our house, so even if I'm upstairs, I not necessarily in a position to catch one of them in the act. Since the incidents often seem to happen after a meal, I could start staying near them (my two new girls are usually in the same room, which makes it easier) for half an hour or so and keeping track of who is going to the box, following one if she leaves the room for one of the boxes elsewhere. I don't think this is just food-related; the two new girls have long since transitioned from the canned and dry food they were eating at the shelter to the varieties I was already using, and I haven't been noticing this diarrhea every day for four or five months! I want to help whoever is having this issue, if only I knew who.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you set up a camera? I use these throughout my house and on the litter box to keep track

wansview Wireless Security Camera, IP Camera 2K, WiFi Home Indoor Camera for Baby/Pet/Nanny, 2 Way Audio Night Vision, Works with Alexa, with TF Card Slot and Cloud https://a.co/d/5eNPKU0

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had this issue a week or so ago. The vet recommended I try some probiotics and then bring both in with a stool sample, if it didn't stop over the weekend. They might have been able to tell once we got there.

Our vet lets us bring both as emotional support for the other anyway.

Could you call you vet for a recommendation of what to do?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Or you could simply put each cat in a different room with a litter box in those rooms and narrow it down that way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm looking into the idea of a pet monitoring camera. However, since my objective is to find out which cat (unless it's more than one!) is having diarrhea and get her to the vet ASAP. Deciding what camera system to get, installing it, monitoring it for a few days, will take time. A better idea might be, as Mrs. Green Jeans said, to separate them for a few hours after feeding. That should give me good information within a few days. Once I know who is having issues, I really wouldn't need the camera system unless something else comes up.