Diarrhea and Now Litterbox Avoidance

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats boxes are storage bins,twice the cats length and 3 inches of litter. That has helped
We've used jumbo boxes for years with deep litter. The problem is he's totally not going to the box now. I think part of the problem was he didn't like the litter additive, so last night, I changed all the boxes and put in the regular mix of litter and added another litter box, of which the husband wasn't thrilled.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update: Still haven't seen him using the box. He went back to the vet today. He was better than the past 2 times she's seen him and he hadn't lost any weight. He wasn't cooperative in giving them a urine sample, but the vet gave us an antibiotic for a UTI in case he does have one. I declined the Convenia shot. Since we've tried all the things (new boxes, fresh litter, additional box, calming agents) and he's still avoiding the box, she gave him some Prozac. It's not a forever solution, but hopefully it works. Strangely, he's been very chill and calm since we got home from the vet this morning.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you continuing with the adored beast gut sooth every day? I have noticed a big difference. More active good poops no diaheria,and better eating. Diaheria can cause dehydration to help her eat wet I bought weruva with hydrated chicken and salmon. After mixing it with another canned food she gobbled it up
Also chicken beef hydrated, expensive but I only give her a tiny handful each meal

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie is very chill after the vet. She will not eat unless I'm with her. My other cats are not like that

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat, a male DSH I've had for 9 years, has had recurring diarrhea throughout his life. Multiple vets have told me it probably had to do with what happened before I rescued him (he was a stray, living outside, and had serious health problems before I adopted him).

I have been partially lucky in that he has always tried to use the litter box, 100% of the time. But when experiencing diarrhea, he always starts going on his way to the box, and leaves a mess partially on the floor.

Probiotics were the saving grace for his gastro issues, but I understand that it doesn't work for all cats.

However, I will note that I tried multiple probiotics before finding the one that really worked. You might want to give others a try.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you continuing with the adored beast gut sooth every day? I have noticed a big difference. More active good poops no diaheria,and better eating. Diaheria can cause dehydration to help her eat wet I bought weruva with hydrated chicken and salmon. After mixing it with another canned food she gobbled it up
Also chicken beef hydrated, expensive but I only give her a tiny handful each meal
We are continuing with the Adored Beast gut soothe daily. It has really helped. He's got good poops, but just not IN or near the litter box. He usually loves his cat food, but today he's struggled to eat. I'm wondering if it's a result of the Prozac or antibiotic. He gets s. boulardii as well.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat, a male DSH I've had for 9 years, has had recurring diarrhea throughout his life. Multiple vets have told me it probably had to do with what happened before I rescued him (he was a stray, living outside, and had serious health problems before I adopted him).

I have been partially lucky in that he has always tried to use the litter box, 100% of the time. But when experiencing diarrhea, he always starts going on his way to the box, and leaves a mess partially on the floor.

Probiotics were the saving grace for his gastro issues, but I understand that it doesn't work for all cats.

However, I will note that I tried multiple probiotics before finding the one that really worked. You might want to give others a try.
He's been on probiotics most of his life. We've had him since he was +/-10 weeks old and he's had gastro issues since he was 8 months old. As he's gotten older, he's 13 now, especially in the past year or so, he's had flare ups of raging diarrhea. He's always 100% used the box to pee, though, and after his diarrhea episodes, has always returned to using the box 100% to poop. I don't know what happened this time to freak him out so much, but his poop is great now! I just need him to get it in the box!