Diarrhea and Now Litterbox Avoidance

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My 13 year old kitty, Tumbles, has been having issues. He has a history of gastroenteritis, loose bowels/diarrhea, and has been on RX food for gastro issues since he was an older kitten

On 5/12/23 we took him to the vet because he had become a picky eater. They did bloodwork, which was perfect, but with his history, gave him a shot of Cerenia to settle his tummy and sent us home with instructions for dosing with Pepcid. He started eating better, but still not like normal.

On 5/23/23 we took him to the cat-only vet where they diagnosed him with pancreatitis after running the IPL test. He got fluids as well as B12 and Ondansetron with his fluids. Sent us home with prednisone, Ondansetron pills, and Miratz gel just in case he wouldn't eat. We did the course of prednisone (prednisolone) and gave him Ondansteron as needed. He got much better, ate well, and was his normal self.

7/8/23--He had raging diarrhea all over the house, not in the litter box. We started giving him some old Metronidazole until we could get him to the vet. We took him to the vet this past Wednesday, 7/12 and the vet didn't think it was a pancreatitis flare, but also didn't rule it out. He got another B12 injection, more Ondansetron pills, new Metronidazole pills because the ones we had were out of date, and more prednisone if he doesn't eat, which hasn't been a problem.

Today, 7/15/23--Still has very loose poops, but usually only once a day. Sometimes formed, but mostly not. We have been giving him s. boulardii regularly for years and it's not helping. His RX food that usually helps is not helping. Metro is doing nothing. Tonight, he peed on the coverlet on the couch, not even attempting to make it to the litter box, which I think he is avoiding.

I have ordered Adored Beast Gut Soothe, but it won't be here for several days. Is there anything else I can try for the diarrhea? Also, I think he peed on the couch because he's afraid of the litter box due to the diarrhea. We will definitely get him back to the vet on Monday to check for a UTI or something because I think the diarrhea thing has been as stressful for him as it has been for us. How can I get him to use the box again? Will it ever be better??

Both my husband and I are stressed and overwhelmed. I need some encouragement.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been giving my cats adored beast gut sooth. No more diaheria or being nauseous. Do you feed him canned?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He gets mostly canned but also some RX dry food that he's been on for years. We just ordered Adored Beast yesterday. We're considering starting him on the prednisolone to ease inflammation.

Pixelation624

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would first recommend running a PCR diarrhea panel if you haven't already, one that includes Giardia, Coccidia and Tritrichomonas. If you need test codes for Antech or Idexx I can look them up.

So long as those are all negative, B12 monthly injections should help, the probiotic you're already using is a good one and next steps would include an ultrasound to rule out IBD, then a food trial to eliminate possibility of food allergies.

Management for the diarrhea can include the probiotic you're already using. I would add RX clay and even a pumpkin seed supplement (Honest Kitchen makes a wonderful one that includes Slippery Elm which soothes the inflammation).

FurryMonsters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Stephanietx,
I am so sorry you are going through this... :alright:
Not knowing how to help your feline best friend can be so disheartening and frustrating, and constantly cleaning up messes around the house is exhausting. What's important is that you are doing your best for him, and that's enough! You're taking him to the vet's, you're trying different things, that's already more than what a lot of pet owners would do. Don't lose hope, there are many treatment options and I'm sure you'll find something.
Probiotics are definitely a good call and it looks like that the Adored Beast product should cover that.
For frequent small-quantity diarrhea, something with fiber, like canned pumpkin or psyllium, can help, but if it's not too frequent and it's larger quantities it's better to avoid fiber. Small, bland, frequent meals are more appropriate (like boiled chicken with rice if your cat is not allergic to those).
Kaolin-pectin anti-diarrhea medications are also an option for cats.
In terms of using the litter box - I'm sure you already know all this: keep it as clean and odour-free as you can and avoid any extra stress to the cat (even raised voices can stress them out).
Have you considered that he could have become intolerant to something in his diet (or a supplement if you give him any)? That can happen even after years of feeding them the same stuff. One of my cats became intolerant to green lipped mussel, which is a healthy ingredient, but it gives him terrible diarrhea! My other cat seems to have become allergic to fish 🤦🏼‍♀️ Apparently, developing intolerance to certain ingredients is fairly common in cats with sensitive/compromised digestion as they age 😔
I'm sending you hugs :hugs:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
For the litter box avoidance, you can try adding another box or two, and put a slightly different litter in them. You can play with him near the new boxes, or leave just a few treats near them for him to find. This may or may not work though since he does still have the diarrhea, but since it's a little better perhaps it will. Also, there is Cat Attract litter you could try.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
stephanietx stephanietx
How simple a request from someone as wonderful as you to ask-Encouragement! Your post encourages others,encourages others to continue on doing the very best you can do to help your beloved feline.So many people give up and surrender their long time companions because of litterbox avoidance,it's a problem that will be resolved - so the answer is yes,it will get better . With you working as hard and diligently as you are to resolve kitties issues it will certainly get better

You are in an exhausting situation right now,not too many things worse than cleaning up that kind of mess all through the house but I assure you that kitty is as stressed out over it as you are.You know it's not his fault,he cannot help not having control,your patience,love and commitment will overcome this situation
Besides Cat Attract Litter,DrElsies also has a product called ULTRA which you sprinkle atop the litter-:it's a very effective litter attractant you might want to try over all your existing litter boxes and I agree that you should get some more boxes ( open,easy to step into) boxes to scatter throughout the house- and if by chance he seems to be going in a particular area then of course that's the perfect area for placement.

Don't get discouraged if at first your not successful,the primary reason for the avoidance is health and not behavioral.Im so sorry you are going through this right now but I'm confident the matter will be resolved and manageable... We are here to support you and it sounds like you've got a good Vet to get this under control- hang in there,your doing a fantastic job!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
7/17 update: We started him on prednisolone on Saturday evening. He's had no diarrhea, but he's still not popping in the litter box. I will go buy Cat Attract today. He is urinating IN the box, so that's an improvement. His appetite is very good, probably thanks to the pred, but he seems to be more calm and feeling more normal and engaging in some normal activities.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
7/17 update: We started him on prednisolone on Saturday evening. He's had no diarrhea, but he's still not popping in the litter box. I will go buy Cat Attract today. He is urinating IN the box, so that's an improvement. His appetite is very good, probably thanks to the pred, but he seems to be more calm and feeling more normal and engaging in some normal activities.
Don't forget about the Ultra just in case he doesn't like the texture of the Cat Attract Litter- as was mentioned it might be a good idea to try a different litter in another box....I only suggest this in case you have a specific litter he seems to prefer,it can be sprinkled ontop

Basically you might have to try a couple of things but don't get discouraged,he'll get back to himself .. I'm glad the meds helping,God Bless you(& kitty) what's his name?Tumbles,right?
PRAYING FOR TUMBLES❤😻

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't forget about the Ultra just in case he doesn't like the texture of the Cat Attract Litter- as was mentioned it might be a good idea to try a different litter in another box....I only suggest this in case you have a specific litter he seems to prefer,it can be sprinkled ontop
That's what I got, and he likes the smell, but still used the old box to urinate in. He still hasn't pooped in the litter box yet. The good news is his poop is formed and he's only pooping once a day. It's still concerning, though.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm SO glad the Pred has worked on the diarrhea. Hoping some new litter and boxes does the trick so things can get back to normal :alright:
No luck yet. :( He did pee in the old box, so that's good. Still pooping outside the box, not even near the box. Might need to call the vet to see if they have any suggestions.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
No luck yet. :( He did pee in the old box, so that's good. Still pooping outside the box, not even near the box. Might need to call the vet to see if they have any suggestions.
Is he picking a particular spot where you can add a new box?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope! And that's frustrating. If only he would make it that easy.
Yes,I sympathize ....still,I am confident you will get the issue resolved as he gets a "regular" and managed bowel....I'm really sorry you are dealing with this,I can imagine what you are going through- just exhausting ,mentally and physically.....
Continued prayers for healing & restoration for Tumbles

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been giving my cats adored beast gut sooth. No more diaheria or being nauseous. Do you feed him canned?
I very gingerly gave my cat a teeny tiny amt of this. We both sniffed it first. My reaction: “Hey! This smells healthy!” I let Zorro get a whiff of the whole canister: his eyes lit up, I thought he’d huff the entire thing down. He chowed down the 1/4 tsp. I mixed in w/ his cat food.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope! And that's frustrating. If only he would make it that easy.
Have you noticed a difference using the adored beast? My cats no longer feel nauseous in the morning and normal poops. Years ago my cat peaches first vet did the cerenia and pepcid which did not help. Now I know pepcid should not be given to cats. I have litter boxes where I am most,living room and bedroom. Normally litter boxes are used when I go to bed,get out of bed,walk to kitchen

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have noticed an improvement with Adored Beast. However, I don't think he can handle the full dose he's supposed to give, so we're in the process of tweaking it for him. He hasn't had any nausea and his poops have been normal, but he's still. not. using. the box.! I have changed the boxes, purchased new boxes, added Cat Attract, now we're trying WBCL Picky added to his regular litter.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have noticed an improvement with Adored Beast. However, I don't think he can handle the full dose he's supposed to give, so we're in the process of tweaking it for him. He hasn't had any nausea and his poops have been normal, but he's still. not. using. the box.! I have changed the boxes, purchased new boxes, added Cat Attract, now we're trying WBCL Picky added to his regular litter.
Adored beast responds the next day when I email them to ask a question. I give it morning and night, when she gets her med. They said to give it 1-2 hours after giving her med