Diarrhea And Extremely Sore Bottom- 2 Weeks Old

BottleBabiesNMommasCrazy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Quick into- my husband and I spay/neuter, rehome, rescue... everything you can do. I have a lot of experience with bottle babies and kittens, so please just skip the beginner basics ;)

I currently have a 14 day old kitten! Yay 2 weeks!! I have had him/her since day 1. (Yes I tried 1,000 ways to get mom to come take care of him- she is ferral and disappeared- neighbor probably shot her) anyhow- baby has had diarrhea since day 4. Baby urinates and diarrhea's all by himself- since day 6. That is great and all, but his little bottom/genitals are extremely irritated and puffy. So much so that you cannot tell the sex. The back of the tail is also extremely red and irritated (looks like raw meat)
Baby has been to 3 different vets and our state of the art vet hospital. No one can figure out how to tell me to help baby's little bum. We are using a cream that creates a water barrier on baby's legs and around the genitals- Calmoseptine. Yes it has zinc, and yes it is toxic to cats, however baby cannot reach it and has no interest in figuring out the yoga needed to consume it. It works great, in all but the rectum and tail- both areas don't get dry enough to apply it to. It just rubs off.
Baby's rectum and tail area are so irritated they bleed ever so slightly. Also makes baby not want to eat.
Between that and diarrhea, baby is losing weight. I am feeding evet 3 hours, (5.25=appropriate per weight), and Pedialyte in between feedings. We finally started going up in numbers again today, but far below the growth curve.

So, can anyone tell me any way to get the raw area dry so that I can apply this cream, or any ideas on anything else that will help it heal? Main problem is that the area stays wet. Tried corn starch, but it ends up in a paste and keeps baby's bottom wet and soggy.

Any ideas how to stop diarrhea? Keep in mind 2 weeks old... diarrhea is yellow and is between mustard and honey-dijon mustard in color (it is always a surprise... yay.) -_-.

Baby has been dewormed, and is on Amox. 2x/day. This is our attempt at fighting whatever is causing diarrhea. Still no real progress on that. Pedialyte every hour and a half, and kmr canned (ready mixed) formula every 3 hours.

Baby is otherwise healthy- surprisingly not dehydrated, good sugar levels, no visible parasites/bacteria, and feeds relatively well as long as bottom isn't touched or irritated before feeding time. Also, the raw area extended up the legs, but that has since resolved with the cream. Also just opened our eyes fully 2 days ago
20170929_040557.jpg
20170929_040907.jpg

*please don't judge my typos- my phone has it's own language and refuses to stop auto correcting my typing into whatever language it speaks.

Thanks in advance!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A quick answer without reading your full post: give lotsa of pedialtye, bough or homemade. He needs salts and some glucose sugar. Begin asap.

He may need more, but this you must give whatever else you do.

For the bottom, you can try with cocoa oil, preferably coldpressed organic style...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have now read your post, and see you arent beginner, you have already tried most standard tricks - including pedialyte... :)

Can you get raw goats milk? Its good as food, but I suspect it may also be used outside. At least, the polish liquid soap with added goats milk I use for my sensitive skin, is working as good as the super mild soap lactacyde...

Its my guess raw goats milk could also be used outside too with some soothing and healing properties. (We in Sweden dont have access to raw goats milk - so its just sound theories, no way to try out for real)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my word! That's just painful to look at. Poor kitten.

Mustard yellow diarrhea is usually caused by coccidia, which may or may not show up in a fecal.

You can use a round of Albon, which works slowly, or 1-3 doses of ponazuril that will clear it up immediately. Since this is severe, the ponazuril is the way to go.

I would also recommend using desitin or A&D ointment on the baby's bottom and tail for now as long as the kitten is not licking it.

When the diarrhea stops, the skin will heal fully.

Please ask your vet for ponazuril.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First I want to say thank you for all you do and your efforts to help this little one. It sounds like you are doing everything you can. I just have a few thoughts. There is a website called "Maddie's Fund" that has quite a few articles on orphan kitten care. I am not a beginner either but I refer to this site a lot. The yellow poop could be coccidia but also could be a bacterial infection which the amox. should treat. Amoxicillin can cause diarrhea all by itself but you need it if you are treating a bacterial infection. Have you tried probiotics? Maddie's has the type and how to in their video. They can't be put into warm milk so that is why I suggest the video for instructions. I would not use any drying type powders or creams on the baby's butt. Neosporin is my go to medication for both my cat and my horse. Get the pain reducing type. Simply clean the bottom gently with cool water and cotton squares. Walgreens makes cotton squares that are somehow encased and you don't have to worry about pieces of cotton getting stuck on the kitten. Pat dry with the squares and then put the neosporin on. There also is a product called Vetericyn which can be used on cats, dogs and horses. It is a liquid spray. I have never used it for this so I would ask a Vet if it is okay for the kitten's bottom. If it is safe this would be great because you don't have to touch the skin. Very expensive, however! I hope I have been of help to you! Good luck and keep us posted!

PS: I read somewhere that KMR which is always the preferred replacement milk may be more prone to cause diarrhea than Petag. Not sure if this is true but just putting it out there.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Several interesting tips! Tx!

The PS is partly true, partly a misunderstanding. The KMR is a kmr made by PetAg...

But they make their KMR in two forms; one in powder, which is rather pricey but very reliable and good. Ad this is our standard recommendation.

And a premade liquid KMR. Which by some reason, isnt that reliable and seems to quite often cause diarrhea and sometimes even constipation... But its sold in cheap small cans, so it is a good idea to have 1 such can home, if your momma cat hasnt milk you arent entirely defenceless there in the middle of the night... Next day you of course go out and buy some better kmr or goats milk.

PS: I read somewhere that KMR which is always the preferred replacement milk may be more prone to cause diarrhea than Petag. Not sure if this is true but just putting it out there.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not use anything with a pain reliever. Those ingredients are almost always toxic to cats.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would not use anything with a pain reliever. Those ingredients are almost always toxic to cats.
You are right! Not necessarily toxic but see below:
Some antibiotic ointments contain added ingredients to combat pain in the wound. These types of the ointment are labelled "+ pain relief." While they may not pose an immense threat to a cat, antibiotic ointment with pain relief may cause irritation and could have ingredients that are not safe for cats. Owners should make sure that the antibiotic ointments they use on their cats do not include pain relief formula.

maggielee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yay! You've really given a lot of thought and effort towards giving the kitten a good life. I foster baby kitten orphans and had one with a very red and swollen bottom once. The vet recommend Preparation H (or the generic brand which is less expensive), mixed with a triple antibiotic cream. It is supposed to reduce swelling and it worked for my kitten. I used it after I cleaned his bottom each time. Good luck!

FarmLife

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Quick into- my husband and I spay/neuter, rehome, rescue... everything you can do. I have a lot of experience with bottle babies and kittens, so please just skip the beginner basics ;)

I currently have a 14 day old kitten! Yay 2 weeks!! I have had him/her since day 1. (Yes I tried 1,000 ways to get mom to come take care of him- she is ferral and disappeared- neighbor probably shot her) anyhow- baby has had diarrhea since day 4. Baby urinates and diarrhea's all by himself- since day 6. That is great and all, but his little bottom/genitals are extremely irritated and puffy. So much so that you cannot tell the sex. The back of the tail is also extremely red and irritated (looks like raw meat)
Baby has been to 3 different vets and our state of the art vet hospital. No one can figure out how to tell me to help baby's little bum. We are using a cream that creates a water barrier on baby's legs and around the genitals- Calmoseptine. Yes it has zinc, and yes it is toxic to cats, however baby cannot reach it and has no interest in figuring out the yoga needed to consume it. It works great, in all but the rectum and tail- both areas don't get dry enough to apply it to. It just rubs off.
Baby's rectum and tail area are so irritated they bleed ever so slightly. Also makes baby not want to eat.
Between that and diarrhea, baby is losing weight. I am feeding evet 3 hours, (5.25=appropriate per weight), and Pedialyte in between feedings. We finally started going up in numbers again today, but far below the growth curve.

So, can anyone tell me any way to get the raw area dry so that I can apply this cream, or any ideas on anything else that will help it heal? Main problem is that the area stays wet. Tried corn starch, but it ends up in a paste and keeps baby's bottom wet and soggy.

Any ideas how to stop diarrhea? Keep in mind 2 weeks old... diarrhea is yellow and is between mustard and honey-dijon mustard in color (it is always a surprise... yay.) -_-.

Baby has been dewormed, and is on Amox. 2x/day. This is our attempt at fighting whatever is causing diarrhea. Still no real progress on that. Pedialyte every hour and a half, and kmr canned (ready mixed) formula every 3 hours.

Baby is otherwise healthy- surprisingly not dehydrated, good sugar levels, no visible parasites/bacteria, and feeds relatively well as long as bottom isn't touched or irritated before feeding time. Also, the raw area extended up the legs, but that has since resolved with the cream. Also just opened our eyes fully 2 days ago View attachment 198095 View attachment 198096

*please don't judge my typos- my phone has it's own language and refuses to stop auto correcting my typing into whatever language it speaks.

Thanks in advance!
Oh my gosh I have two barely 3wk old kittens with the same problem! They are in so much pain and when I try to clean them they are mad with pain. I’m in tears over this. Same problem, raw up the tail, legs,butt, genitalia. So swollen and not eating well when pain is bad. Please someone give us something that will relieve the pain so I can clean them and how to keep them dry when poop just runs out all the time and just sticks to them. They are wet with it all the time! Please help!

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no advice but PLEASE keep us updated on your progress! And thank you so much for taking care of these little ones.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my gosh I have two barely 3wk old kittens with the same problem! They are in so much pain and when I try to clean them they are mad with pain. I’m in tears over this. Same problem, raw up the tail, legs,butt, genitalia. So swollen and not eating well when pain is bad. Please someone give us something that will relieve the pain so I can clean them and how to keep them dry when poop just runs out all the time and just sticks to them. They are wet with it all the time! Please help!
I suppose you had read this thread thoroughly and use the tips given? Including this with pedialyte / more salts.

do you have contact with a vet? THIS is the standard advice...

Last but not least, please start your own tread. Its the easiest way to get attention from friendly forum-members.
You can essentially copy and paste what you have already written. Have a claryfying title for the tread.