Diarrhea After Neutering, And On The Wound

Britney91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello!

Our kitten got neutered today and he had a little bit of diarrhea and after that just a normal good poop. But the diarrhea went over his neuter wounds. We tried to clean it up a little bit with a cloth that was a little bit moist, not wet but we cant get it all off.. im afraid it will be bad for the wound? He cant clean himself because he has one of those things around his neck so he wont lick the wound the whole time... we got medication for the pain which also prevents infection. Should I be worried? But on the other hand, I am sure this happens often that some poop or pee will touch the fresh wound since its in that era.. the vet didnt mention anything about it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ferals who are TNR'd (Trap, Neuter, Return) are returned to their home-range, generally the same day as the surgery, and almost ALL of them do just fine. They don't get any real post-op care or extra cleaning. Just keep an eye on it, and if the incision looks swollen or raw, give your vet a call.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Britney91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ferals who are TNR'd (Trap, Neuter, Return) are returned to their home-range, generally the same day as the surgery, and almost ALL of them do just fine. They don't get any real post-op care or extra cleaning. Just keep an eye on it, and if the incision looks swollen or raw, give your vet a call.
Thank you! Turns out he found a way to clean himself despite wearing that plastic cone thing around his neck.. well at least he is clean.. we try to keep him from cleaning too much. I guess the plastic cone isnt necessary anymore since he can lick anyway...

Britney91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL, no, I'd say that the cone is pretty much useless. Determined little guy, isn't he?
He is very detirmined!! Haha! We went back to the vet and got a bigger cons. We are thinking about taking it off today. The wound is healing well and he doesnt have the urge anymore to lick the wound excessively, just a little, which i assume cant cause too much harm. We are keeping a close eye on it!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Perhaps just when you are away from the house, or sleeping, for a day or so more? And they're going to do a certain amount of licking that area, regardless of what a vet might or might not have done back there. I refer to "the position", one leg over the shoulder, head down, as "playing the cello."

Britney91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Perhaps just when you are away from the house, or sleeping, for a day or so more? And they're going to do a certain amount of licking that area, regardless of what a vet might or might not have done back there. I refer to "the position", one leg over the shoulder, head down, as "playing the cello."
I took it off this morning but i felt he was licking too much. I was afraid he was gonna lick off the crust of the wound... i feel bad for him when he wears the cone and its been quite stressfull watching him 24/7 because he manages to remove the cone now and then! And now my other cat who has a urinary stress problem is so confused by everything that she is urinating on weird places instead of what she usually does (which is only letting urine go when she sleeps or lies down somewhere not just anywhere) haha stressfull house right now!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Give everybody a tablespoonful of chamomile tea, and drink a cup of it yourself! It does wonders for stress, and the commercially prepared tea bags are safe for cats in the correct dosages (1-3 teaspoonsful up to 3 times a day, chilled, please!)

Britney91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Give everybody a tablespoonful of chamomile tea, and drink a cup of it yourself! It does wonders for stress, and the commercially prepared tea bags are safe for cats in the correct dosages (1-3 teaspoonsful up to 3 times a day, chilled, please!)
Haha that’s good advice! Thank you! Hopefully things will be more peaceful around the house then haha!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's been known to work wonders, and even works when used as a skin wash on one member's eczema! Actually, it works wonders as a skin wash on humans, cats, dogs, and horses, to my personal knowledge.