Diarrehea...?

jessesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by GStein

My cat had bowl problems for a year before my vet put him on Tylan powder, which I believe can cure IBS for cats. I put a tiny pinch in his food every day. I didn't want invasive surgery on my cat so we treated the symptoms experimentally and the Tylan power worked wonderfully. Please ask your vet about it, unless your cat is already better! I had tried everything before that (I rescued my cat from the CACC). Rice, sweet potato, new food....the new food helped to some degree...w/d food. But the tylan works best.
Hi G Stein:

I read your post and suspect that my cat has IBS. He tested negative for parasites, but will put him on Albon and Flagyl just in case (especially after reading this post). Did your cat suffer from very foul smelling stool - and I mean horrific, as well as occassional bouts of bloody, runny stool (two to three times a week)?

Susan

gstein

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jessesmom

Hi G Stein:

I read your post and suspect that my cat has IBS. He tested negative for parasites, but will put him on Albon and Flagyl just in case (especially after reading this post). Did your cat suffer from very foul smelling stool - and I mean horrific, as well as occassional bouts of bloody, runny stool (two to three times a week)?

Susan
Hi Susan,

Antiobiotcs always seemed to make him a little more consistent, but he never had blood! What has your vet said about the blood? It was bad smelling though. The only thing that has worked is the Tylan powder, but we have not taken a biopsy or done any surgery which would prove without a doubt that it was IBS. I don't have a lot of money so we decided to treat him as it it was IBS. I looked up Tylan on the internet and have seen it is used to treat IBS cats. I hope he will not be on it forever, but I tried a lot of natural therapies and his tests came back negative for everything else....Now it makes my life and his so much easier!

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bear would have occasional bouts of loose stool and one or two bits of diarhhea every few months. He always meows in a certain way in his litter box when this happens and I have learned to recognize the sound of when he is having problems. It does seem to be dietary related and I am suspecting a possible ingredient (carbohydrate) allergy but am not sure what yet. One thing I did try after reading about it on this list and researching more on line - and that has worked so far - is to give him acidophilus. I take one of the caplets I have from the health food store, break it apart, and put the contents either on a dish or directly on the food. He likes the taste of it and licks it up directly from the plate, which is good as I know he gets it then. I have been giving him the contents of one caplet every 2 days for 3 weeks now and he hasn't had a single loose bowel movement. Perhaps this is something you can try. It won't hurt him and it may help him get more beneficial bacteria into his digestive tract. The bacteria are easily injured by certain antibiotics and it may be that he could benefit from a 'restocking' of the resident intestional bacteria.

Good luck
Kathryn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

testacav

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kathryn thanks for the advice....

I have sorta good news....I dont want to jinks anything (knock on wood) but since the switch to just the performatrin ultra coco's stool is slowly becoming firmer.....

I think I read somewhere on here that some kitties can develop an allergy to the beef which was in the medi-cal development and can be a cause of diarrehea....but anyhow for now.....he is totally on the performatrin now and it seems to be getting better....Im soo happy....poor little guy.....

jessesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again G Stein:

My vet said that diarrhea is relatively common in cats and not something to be overly concerned about. He told me that he is almost positive that Jesse has IBS and that I have the option of having him undergo a ultrasound of the stomach area to confirm the diagnosis. Plus, he told me that if Jesse was losing weight, not eating or exhibiting other signs that he was not feeling well then I should be concerned, but thank God he is doing very well other than the diarrhea. I will try the acidophilus first to see if he reacts well to that and then I will consider the Tylan powder - both great suggestions so thank you.

Susan