Diamond needs to be put back into engagement ring

hischick61814

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an engagement ring that needs the diamond put back in it. It fell off of my dresser and hit the floor really hard and the diamond fell out of it. I have been told it could range from $25 to $75 dollars. Any suggestions on what to do?

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talk to a jewelry repair place.  The diamond has fallen out of my wedding band twice.  The first time I took it to a jewelry store and it was more expensive and took longer.  My diamond is heart shape and as a result is more work to re-mount.  The repair place added an extra prong to hold the diamond in place the jewelry store did not even offer to do that.  The seating for the diamond is a lot more stable now so hopefully this issue will be resolved. It was actually less expensive and faster for it to be fixed through the repair place.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, bring to a jeweler for repair.  

Many people don't realize that the prongs the gem is set in require periodic maintenance to avoid the stone falling out.  If the ring was several years old it wouldn't be surprising to find them loose.  Better safe than sorry and suck up the cost of repair.  I know I'd cry like crazy if I lost the stone from a much loved piece of jewelry!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Don't try to fix it yourself--and this includes placing the stone in the prongs, and trying to close the prongs around it. The prongs may snap off, and then it will be even more expensive to have it professionally repaired.

Gemstone rings should be taken to a trusted jeweler once a year to be professionally cleaned and inspected for loose stones, etc.  Your diamond may look clean to you, but skin oil and other things will dirty a stone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hischick61814

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Where would be the best place to take it? It was ordered off line. I don't have any information on it

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
$25 to $75 sounds very reasonable to have a stone reset, depending on the setting and amount and condition of the prongs. 

Just to have the prongs re-tipped, it costs me about $35 per prong. 

I wouldn't have a clue as to wear you could get estimates because I don't know where you live. Prices vary from city to city, state to state, country to country and even store location to store location. You would just have to call around and see what different places have to say. Most will ask you to bring the ring in for an evaluation in case the other prongs need to be tipped. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hischick61814

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just don't have any information on the ring. 

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just don't have any information on the ring. 
What kind of information do you need (or think you need)? Any reputable jeweler can repair it. They are easily able to determine whether it is 10K, 14K, or 18K white,yellow or rose gold, or if it is silver or platinum. They will also check the stone for any chips or damage and should be able to give you an appraisal for insurance purposes. Have you checked with your home owner's insurance to see if it is covered? If not, you might want to have it insured!

I've taken many pieces of jewelry to be repaired at various places over the years and I never needed anything but the piece of jewelry. 

When my Mom passed a few years ago, my daughter inherited her amethyst necklace that we had bought her. A few months ago, my daughter noticed one of the marquise stones was missing! Fortunately, I have a set of Amethyst rock bookends that belonged to Mom, so we took the bookends and the necklace to our jeweler and they were able to cut a piece from the rock to match the other stones in the necklace. It turned out beautifully and the replacement stone has sentimental value as Dad had given the bookends to Mom for her birthday years ago. 

Go to 3 or 4 different jewelers and get estimates on the repair. I would take it somewhere that has someone on-site as opposed to a place that sends their work out to be done.