Diagnosis and treatment for possible cat acne.

BravoLevaro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello community!

We recently discovered bloody blisters on and around our cats lips and chin area (see photo - sorry for graphic content!). Based on our internet search we think it may be acne and have been trying to treat it with coconut oil. It has been about a month and doesn't seem to be clearing up. It also seems to be a bit more dramatic than what I would think is consistent for acne so I am hoping that someone with more experience can confirm from the photo if it does indeed seem to be cat acne and perhaps also suggest other treatment options. Also is this something urgent that would require a vet visit or could it wait until our next regular vet visit?

Many thanks!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Tbh, I can't tell much from the pic, but it sounds more like a more serious reaction to something, be that food or some sort of bacterial issue, even an infection - from whatever the cause may be. I say that because if it is bad enough to cause bloody blisters it has gone far beyond the 'typical' case of acne. So, I would say a vet visit is in order.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: There are a number of issues that can cause chin acne. My first question is what type of bowl are you using to feed your cat? Plastic can cause this health problem in which case switching to ceramic, glass or stainless steel can help. It could possibly be a food or other type of allergy too.

I thought these two TCS Articles might have some helpful information for you:
Feline Acne – TheCatSite Articles
Skin Conditions In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

You can always call your vet and ask their opinion or ask if you can send the pic to see if they feel it warrants an appointment.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Just as an additional comment, my avatar had bloody chin acne and I found that using stainless steel bowls only made a big difference.