Diabetic Cat. What!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Phillip,

Please don't feel as though you are being attacked, people are just trying to give good advice. Cats need a range of essential ingredients that are found in cat specific food, as people have said, and it is especially important because his diet may have contributed to his diabetes. You may very well be able to find a high quality food that he likes, and that alone will probably help his diabetes management drastically.

My aunt had a diabetic cat, and while she could mostly manage his diabetes with a very specific diet for a while, eventually he got worse and for years lived with daily injections. She also works long hours, so would always get up a little early and do it first thing in the morning, and would do it while he was eating - that way he was distracted, and wouldn't even notice what she was doing.

That being said, I have a fraidy cat too who jumps at her own shadow, and if she got something like diabetes, I'm pretty sure I would never be able to give her daily glucose testing.

I would recommending talking to your vet, and let them know what you're feeding your kitty, and how you can change/supplement his diet to help the diabetes.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guys, I think Phillip is just going through the shock and denial most of us go through when faced with diagnosis of a chronic condition - the idea of changing a lifestyle can feel overwhelming, whether for our pets or ourselves. Phillip clearly loves his boy and is reaching out for help.

Phillip, my advice again, speaking as a diabetic myself, is to work with your vet regarding diet. And believe me, your vet has heard it all regarding fear of getting the blood samples, administering shots, changing diets, picky eaters, the whole deal....just like human doctors do. Believe me, the first few times it does seem impossible....but, most of the time, with patience and perseverance, you and your family, and kitty, will make it routine. Heck, sticking myself for blood wasn't fun at all - but your vet and the techs can work with you and, I promise you, it does get easier. And it can take time til you stabilize the blood sugars and get the dosages rights - it doesn't happen overnight!

And don't be shy of bringing up your work schedule, etc., with the vet. Let her help you work out something that does synch with your work demands and shots. I can't do the perfect diabetic schedule myself - life does interfere - but most of the time you can work out adjustments that do allow proper care. I know how it's overwhelming at the start and you can feel totally overloaded with information.

The internet can actually be a hinderance at times - too much info and nothing to help you sort out the useful from the scary and, sometimes, just plain wrong info. I see it on human diabetes sites - I bet the same is try for feline diabetes.

The internet can give you ideas, but your vet is the only health care provider who's examined your cat, and you're the one who knows how your cat is reacting to treatment. It's been what, three-four days since diagnosis? You've made more of a start than you realize - but it's a shock and it takes time to integrate everything you're learning and being asked to do.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like darlili said, you clearly love this cat, and it's wonderful that you found a way to give him his two shots a day. Don't feel like it's too late to change his diet as well, it will really, really help him get better and possibly allow him to go insulin free for many years if not the rest of his life!

Here are two videos from Dr Karen Becker, talking about the health of older and sickly pets, and they are very inspiring. I would highly recommend you watch them.

Please stick around, we only want to help. I'm personally sorry that I jumped on you a bit, I'm just Very passionate about animals and hearing you talk about thinking of putting down Gray made me very upset.. :[

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phillip and Minka, for what it's worth, I've heard humans saying they'd rather die than take insulin, test their blood, etc etc - and at the time they were relatively serious. It's a big shock and at the beginning many people just can't figure out how they'll live with a serious, chronic condition.

Phillip, we're truly all here for you - and lots of purrs for your buddy and for your family as you deal with this.

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a diabetic cat that's about 7 years old. I took him to the vet cause he was losing weight, looked miserable, and peed without end.

He's doing well now. I have to give him 2 shots a day - my vet says as long as I give them about 12 hours apart but within a 2 hour window of the 12 hours that that is ok.

It has taken quite a while to get the right combination of prescription food and medication/insulin. I'll have to admit that I almost gave up as he was very sick and it was very very expensive. Thankfully we seem to have found a good combination now and I hope and pray he has a long life. The vet said that he can.

I do still need to take him in every 2 or 3 months for blood sugar check but that is not too bad. After trying pills and several kinds of insulin we've finally ended up with Humulin 5 units twice a day. Most importantly it has worked best for my big orange and white cat named Charlie and thankfully is considerably less expensive than some of the other ones we've tried.

My biggest problem is arranging for him to get the shots when I go out of town to visit family.
I can do medical boarding at the vet - that is my first choice and I have done that but it is really costly. Hope to make other arrangements in the future.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phillip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will go to my vet I do not need anyone's help here. Thanks.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I am sorry you feel that way. You came asking for help and we all tried to help. You received some excellent food information that I hope you consider. Please do not let anything deter you from good advice, even if you are not happy here. The main thing is the health of your kitty.

Good luck with your cat.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry things didn't work for you here...but your family and your kitty will be in my thoughts.