Diabetic cat vomits soft food

mewcatmew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Even before his diagnosis with diabetes, my cat has had some issues with soft food, he vomits it up within 30 minutes after eating it on a fairly frequent basis, but not always. I would say about 20% of the time when he eats it. I would like him to be on a soft food diet for his diabetes, but I am not sure it is possible. He is currently eating the hard food prescription diet which is better than nothing, but far from ideal. This only applies to soft food, he rarely has had issues with hard food. 

Has anyone else had intermittent issues with their cat being able to hold down soft food? And is there anything I can do?

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What are you currently feeding him and what have you fed him in the past?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If he's vomiting soft food, it may be because he's either eating it too fast, eating too much at one sitting, or having a sensitivity to an ingredient in it.  Otherwise, there is no reason why soft food would cause this reaction.  I, too, wonder WHICH soft foods you are feeding.  There are a lot of really good options to chose from. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewcatmew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have given him a few varieties and it all seems to be a similar result. Today it was fancy feast pate which he has eaten fine before without issue. If he is eating too fast is there an easy way to make him slow down outside of giving him a small amount, waiting, giving more, waiting...he only ate half of a small can or so. It seems like such a small amount to do that to him.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to guess, because this is what happened with my older kitty, that he is probably unable to tolerate any fish foods.  Try him on just one or two varieties (chicken or turkey) and see if you notice an improvement.

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty was diabetic also so I know it isn't easy. One thing that did help, when you are transitioning dry to wet food, my vet said to do it very slowly- maybe 10% or less to avoid GI upsets. Mine was a dry food addict and diabetic, so I know, it isn't easy!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I'm going to guess, because this is what happened with my older kitty, that he is probably unable to tolerate any fish foods.  Try him on just one or two varieties (chicken or turkey) and see if you notice an improvement.
I would agree here. 

As far as you asking for a way to make him slow down...DOES he just inhale it?  If so, try raising his dish about 6 inches, also,you can try a dish like this

It's called an "eat slow dish"  It's more for kibble, but would definitely work for wet food too.  Or you could put a clean hard ball or two in his dish so he has to work around it to get to the food.  Or use a larger plate or bowl and spread the food out all over the plate.  Or feed the food in a couple different  bowls that he has to move from one bowl to the other to eat it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewcatmew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have never seen a dish like that, I will definitely order one. He does tend to eat fast and that could contribute to it. What exactly is the reasoning for raising it 6 inches? What does that do?

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I have never seen a dish like that, I will definitely order one. He does tend to eat fast and that could contribute to it. What exactly is the reasoning for raising it 6 inches? What does that do?
Many cats hunch over their bowl to eat, and some even lay down with their paws around the bowls and just chow down.  With the bowl raised up high, it just helps them be a little slower because of the position, and also helps keep their esphaphagus in a better position to help stop regurgitation.  (head up vs down type thing)