Diabetic cat occasionally not making it to the litter box

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We've noticed over the last couple of months that there are times (maybe once every 2 weeks or so) when Rover Grover (14) does not make it to the litter box. He's been a diabetic for the last 2 years with some peripheral neuropathy even though we caught the diabetes fairly early. We do our best to strengthen his back legs as much as we can - i.e. treats on window ledges, walks. He can move if he really wants to - i.e. chasing a neighbour cat off the property. There are two litter boxes on the first floor, and one litter box at the top of the stairs on the second floor. We find the occasional deposit on the stairs which shows he really wanted to use the upstairs litter box and it was bad judgment on his part. The downstairs litter boxes would have been closer. We have a lot of stairs and he has to work to get up the final third. Yesterday, we found a deposit in the kitchen which means that he didn't even try to make it to either litter box on the first floor or had no control over the situation. They are easy to clean up and certainly not a big deal, especially after what we went through with Coch.

Question: Should I be seeing this as a sign of further peripheral neuropathy?

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's something only a vet that knew your case could answer or possibly you'll find someone here on this site that has gone through the same thing. You might want to take him to the vet to make sure their are no new issues coming up. His age could just be catching up with him too, although there is almost always a physical problem for litter box issues. Has he been more stressed lately, could it be that he is avoiding the box for a reason, like a litter difference? He might just not have the control he once had when he was younger and 'misjudges' the time it takes to get to the litter box. At least it doesn't happen often. I have a 13 year old too, so I understand the senior problems they can have, but I guess I'll put up with a lot because he's my mama's boy. Good luck, I hope you can find some answers, take care and give him a kiss for me!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He uses all 3 boxes so it's not an aversion. And he's under less stress these days because he's getting far more attention these days. I'm positive he's not in the grieving process. Coch and RoverG had no interest in each other at all. Maybe the solution is to put a litter box on the tiny landing part way up the stairs that humans can trip over or accidentally step into in the dark.

Last edited: