Diabetic cat having gastro issues

Ncasalino

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 14 year old diabetic kitty has been having consistent diarrhea starting in December. We test is blood glucose once a day at home and give him insulin as needed- his levels seem to be in control. He Tested positive forPancreatitis in December and Was put ion antibiotics, and these sulfer pills ( cat would not take). Recent bloodwork showed no kidney issues or thyroid issues. Kitty has had some weight loss- he was around 9 lbs- and as of yesterday is down to 7+ pounds. Vet started steroid injection and a B12 injection. Kitty has been in that for 2 weeks now. It is helping with the diarrhea, but kitty is constantly hungry. He eats like a chow hound and is drinking. He has been in Fancy Feast ( pate) for years, so I don’t believe that it is a food allergy. Vet suggested that for now not to change his food as he doesn’t feel that is the problem. Vet said he could refer us to an internist for further testing- bloodwork and ultrasound. (Which can be thousands of dollars to diagnose)We have already put thousands of dollars into him as we almost lost him when he was first diagnosed with diabetes. I love him very much and cannot think of living without him, but the financial end of the further testing is something I don’t think we can make right now. Any suggestions or feedback is welcome😻

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, for him to be hungry is a good thing since he's trying to make up for the weight loss, which is at least in part due to the diarrhea. Plus the B12 helps stimulate the appetite.