Diabetic cat getting fat

emandjee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how much you know about feline diabetes, but I found this :
  First and foremost, always choose a canned, pouched, or raw meat diet for your cat. No type, brand or variety of dry food is acceptable for any cat, but especially not for any diabetic cat!! This includes every single food that is labeled as “for diabetics” (such as Hills m/d dry, Purina DM dry and Innova Evo dry). I CANNOT emphasize this point enough. I have had several clients whose diabetic cats have been released from their dependence on insulin who subsequently relapsed because their people believed what they read on a bag of dry cat food. There is simply NO dry cat food, and there likely never will be any dry cat food that will be an appropriate food for diabetic cats! 
If you need help, I think this source will be quite helpful: http://yourdiabeticcat.com/index.html

This site is created by a veterinarian with many years of experience with diabetic cats, and may come in handy for you to learn more about food transition. Wishing all the best for Cocheezie!

Last edited:

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you sure he is getting fat, and NOT developing ascites, or fluid retention?   I had an 18 year old cat who developed non-insulin dependent diabetes, and he looked like he was getting fat and swelling up to about twice his normal size.  When I took him to the vet, this is what I learned.  There was no medicine for him at the time, 1993.  I took him to the vet a couple of times each week to have the fluid drawn off his abdomen.  But he finally got so miserable--never fought or scratched me, but I could see it in his eyes--that I had to let him go to the Rainbow Bridge.

Good wishes to you and your precious kitty.