diabetes

bobkim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat Thumbs has diabetes. We are picking him up at vet today. The vet said we have to give him insulin shots everyday. Somebody told my wife they had a cat with diabetes and just changed the cats food. Anybody have a similar situation? Thanks.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest PMing Optionken .. Ken has dealt with disease via food

What are you feeding now??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bobkim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We currently feed friskies. We had 13 cats at one point and are down to seven. We were thinking of switching to a better food for all of them.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you feed wet?? that is IDEALLY the better of the commercial types for a diabetic cat .. and carbs under 10% which is most wet foods

Ken will tell you NO NO NO dry food ... if you have to look at the grain frees like core and evo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bobkim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We feed wet 3 times a day and dry is always avaiable if they want it. I am heading to the vet to get him now. I will PM optiken when I get back. Thanks.

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
Realize diabetes is not a death sentence, no life span needs to be lost and your cat can live a long happty life. I have sent you a private message as there is just too much to go ove here
I want to thank Sharky for alerting me about this post

Canned foods under 10% carbs is what you need to feed. The breakdown is here
http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/CanFoodOld.html

fattykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd discontinue all dry foods. Look for a high protien, low carb and fiber diet. My friend's diabetic cats doesn't even get high-carb treats (check out http://www.felinediabetes.com/low-carb-cat-treats.htm if you are interested. The rest of the site is helpful, too.) If you are seriously on a budget, wheat-gluten free Fancy Feast can be a good option, though not preferable.