Diabetes In Remission Several Years - Relapse Possible?

pcarpe01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some history - my 12 year male cat - Oliver, was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago. After completely changing his diet to Tiki Cat and "Young Again" food, his diabetes went into remission. He has been stable for several years, until now.

Recently he lost some weight and started drinking a lot of water again. his appetite is usual and his overall behavior is normal. Thinking he relapsed, I took him to the vet. A blood glucose test was normal - 108 (I should mention that he did not eat his wet food yet as I took him to the vet around 5:00 PM, so I am wondering if the reading was false). The vet took some blood and checked for hyperthyroidism - which he was negative, however, the vet did say that Oliver's kidney enzymes were "slightly" elevated, but not enough to cause weight loss or excessive water drinking.

The vet recommended a more complete blood analysis, which is happening tonight. Any insight as to what is going on with Oliver. Could his diabetes come back, even though his blood-glucose level was normal during a vet visit?

Thank you in advance!
-Paul

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes it's possible for diabetic cats to come out of remission. It can be caused by any number of things: stress, underlying disease, sneaky change in the food, etc. Definitely ask the vet to do full bloodwork. It wouldn't hurt to include a fructosamine test for an average of blood glucose levels from the past few weeks.

It's possible that the diabetes is still in remission and the symptoms you are seeing are caused by another condition. Or the weather. Hot weather can cause cats to not eat as much and drink more water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pcarpe01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's strange because, sometimes he will make repetitive trips to the water bowl and other times it's minimal, but he is still dropping weight. I noticed that he will attempt to eat my plate of chips when I'm watching TV, so I am thinking that maybe he is hungry and I have been underfeeding him? That being a thought I started giving him more wet food at each feeding and an additional can during lunch.

I hate this.....why can't they tell me what's wrong?

Thanks for your reply.

In any event, the vet took blood last Thursday, is it too quick to draw blood again tonight for a test or should I wait a few more days?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:grouphug:

I hope the vet can figure out why your cat is eating and drinking more now. I would have bloodwork done again. The values may not change much from last week but who knows.

You might get additional help from the FelineDiabetes.com message board Feline Diabetes Message Board - FDMB

pcarpe01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Doing blood work tonight. Could it be kidney problems? It is strange, for example, today he is not drinking a lot of water. early in the morning like 6 AM, noon and again at 3 PM and not in any length - only a few seconds. Other times, he will drink a lot.

pcarpe01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I goet the blood work back. My vet said that Oliver's kidney's are slightly comprimised and we should switch him to a renal supportive diet. Does anyone have any food reccomendations?