DH's Grandma passed away today

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It really hasn't been a good Grandma week in this house. I posted this weekend about my Grandma going to the hospital and now a nursing home.

Well tonight my MIL called to let us know his Dad's mother passed away this afternoon. She would have been 99 years old next month. She had a fall last November in the elevator of her retirement community and has been in pain and bedridden ever since. She started to refuse all treatments around the new year. Twelve days ago she stopped eating. DH's parent's are divorced but my MIL visited with her a few times in her nursing home. Apparently she even required a back brace just to sit up and wearing it was painful too. About a month ago was the 6th anniversary of DH's Grandpa's passing in that same nursing home.

I guess she just knew it was time for her to go. She seemed to be very peaceful with it. DH talked to her a week or two ago over the phone. We had planned to go to visit her in a couple weeks over DH's scheduled vacation, so it looks like we will be in town for her memorial service. She will be buried in Florida next to her husband. I honestly thought it would take longer for her to pass than it did; but I'm glad she's not suffering anymore.

I just thought of something too. When we were visiting with her last June she was still in pretty good health and we had a really nice visit. But she also gave me a few small family heirlooms she wanted me to have. I had no idea this would happen. I honestly thought she'd live to 100 at least. I never imagined one fall would end up being so devastating.

DH is doing ok. He wasn't that close to his Grandmother, but still loved her a lot. His Dad is grieving. He calls his mother his best friend. They were best friends and companions; definitely kindred spirits. He'd spent night and day with her pretty much since the fall. She was a great woman and was well recognized in her hometown. She even has a day that was named for her because she was the first female born in the area to survive infancy. Her father was a historic figure in the area as well. She was active in the International Orchid Society and in her church she'd been a member of since childhood. I believe she was the oldest living member. Even last year she was still writing articles about her father's life and history of the area she grew up in. She was one of those people that you wish you could write down every word she said because she had such a vivid memory. I do have her book fortunately.

Rest in peace Grandma Margaret....we miss you.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry. My thoughts are with you all at this difficult time.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear of your loss. Sounds like a similar situation with my Nana who just recently passed away at the age of 98. I know you kinda expect it at that age but it is still very hard. My nana had a very healthy life right up until the very end and it all happened so fast, but like you said, it's like they just know when their time is coming. And it's good to hear she seemed at peace.

Again, I am so sorry and my thoughts and prayers are with you, your husband, and your family.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She sounds like such a remarkable woman! Your husband must be very proud of her... and it must mean a lot to him that you wrote this lovely tribute to her.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im so sorry this happened! She sounds like a wonderfull women! The only comfort I can offer to you is that she is with her husband right now, and they are happy together again!! What an awfull ordeal for you and your family!!
Let me know if you need to talk! Im almost always here!
Amber