DH made them a Cat Tree!!!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
that is amazing!! looks 10 million times better than anything you could buy in a store!!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy smokes, that's totally wicked awesome!!!

Shipping to central Massachusetts would probably be prohibitively expensive, wouldn't it? *sigh*

I wonder, would your husband be adverse to posting directions to build one of these? I'm not an expert with a hammer by any means, but I would so love to give it a try. I already have the perfect corner for it! *smile*

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

I wonder how cost effictive it really is to make your own? Could you get an estimate on how much materials cost and how long it took him to build. I'm going back and forth between buying one and making one. Leaning toward buying because of the time and resources it would take me to make one. I've found w/ other things (like clothes) it's costs as much if not more to make them myself. Espically once you figure labor into it.
DH and I made ours, which isn't as nice as this one,but it was only about $35-50 to make it.

That is a GORGEOUS cat tree
!!!! I am soooooooooooooo jealous

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the nice words!!! He will really love to hear all of this. I will have to upload & post the other side tonight....it's amazing really. And he doesn't have the catwalk part up yet cause we'll be moving it all for the x-mas tree....

I wonder how cost effictive it really is to make your own? Could you get an estimate on how much materials cost and how long it took him to build. I'm going back and forth between buying one and making one. Leaning toward buying because of the time and resources it would take me to make one. I've found w/ other things (like clothes) it's costs as much if not more to make them myself. Espically once you figure labor into it.
Ok, so I guess you have to know what your doing to make them. Like he had to used a saw, that's something I don't know how to do myself. And my DH is a carpenter, so he really knows what he's doing. But for both sides, which means 2 like the one shown (only the other side is different, there's a swinging barrel that they can climb in), and the catwalk beam that's not shown, for all the wood & all the carpeting it cost him $150. Now, when I looked them up on the internet for him to get some ideas of design, they were going for $400-$900 for one cat tree, and we got 2 cat trees out of it. So I imagine it would be cheaper if you just made one. And his friend Bobby came over for the day, they made a competition out of it, to see who could design the cooler cat tree....and here are the results, they like the one NOT shown better....I will post pics I swear.
It took them maybe a weekend to build it. And then DH finished his in the evenings 1-2 days. So they worked like all day on Fri, till 9pm, then after work on Sat, and all day Sun if that makes sense.... and then the finishing touches, like putting the smaller pieces together etc he did through the week. I have to say though, I AM SOOOO PROUD OF HIM!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm... maybe when we have the room for the project and the tree (we live in a cramped apartment now) I'll have to look into making one. Can't wait to see the other side. The swinging barrel thing sounds super cool!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hmm... maybe when we have the room for the project and the tree (we live in a cramped apartment now) I'll have to look into making one. Can't wait to see the other side. The swinging barrel thing sounds super cool!
We live in a cramped duplex....and if the basement was finished it would be fine, but it's not....so we are on one floor, I can so relate. But we have a HUGE unfinished basement (the size of our entire living area) which is where the cutting and carpentry all took place (thank God!). The barrel thing IS cool....especially when they come running at 90mph from the back bed room down the hall, up over the back of my couch (and my head if I'm sitting there), and up one cat tree (the barrel goes flying like the wind), over the top of my entertainment center (Louie knocking over my picture frames), and down the other cat tree, around the side of the couch, back down the hall, into the bedroom, and up the ladder of the loft bed (knocking over the crystal lamp)....
That is there race track!!!