Dew Claw infection too? :(

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, so we have an ear, skin, mouth infection and the vet didn't see the dew claw's infection. I just noticed it today. (he is an outside cat I am trying to help and he is FIV+, just tested)

They look like they have been trimmed (the tip) and look flaky and brown. It makes the fur brownish too. 

I am curious, because he has the same issue on both left and right dew claws. Coincidence? or Genetic?

He does not seem to be in pain. He is so brave. 

Please see the pics. What is this and how can we cure him? He is on antibiotics (cephalexin 250mg once daily for 15 days) to cure his skin, mouth and ear infection. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
anyone who has had experience with something similar? 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Boy, I wonder if he caught them on something?   It's weird the way they look, and since he's an outdoor cat, it's not like someone has been trimming them.  Also strange that they are both that way.  But why are they brown further up his leg, I wonder? 

Anyway, the antibiotic should work throughout his entire body, so should be effective there too.  Maybe just clean them up if you can and make sure there isn't anything underlying.  Or better yet, since the Vet missed this, send them the pix and ask if there is anything more you should do other than him taking the antibiotics.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you for your reply!

It has been only a couple of days since he started on the antibiotic, so we'll see how this progresses. 

So strange that both have the same issue. The browning of the fur probably means some type of infection or fungi or something. 

Here there is a bunch of ducks who poop everywhere and he could have walked on some poo full of bacteria or fungi. Who knows. At least he has it on one claw on each paw and not more. 

All speculation unless I talk to the vet or someone who has seen something similar chimes in. The issue with is that I find them too business oriented and don't feel like they cared much, so not sure if they would want to even look at pics. :(