Destructive Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You would let him out among cat-chasing dogs? To get into constant fights with other cats who most likely have diseases? And let him sit by the edge of a heavily busy road which is constantly trolled by people, some who would have no qualms swerving to hit him because they "just plain hate cats" or because they're drunk? The road is so constantly peppered with roadkill here that you'd think people got paid $1000 per carcass. And I'm sure my neighbors would appreciate yet ANOTHER cat pooping in their flowerbeds and marking their houses. Of course he would stop being destructive quickly, he'd be killed! That is why I am trying so hard to create a more equilibrius state indoors, so that it is a better experience for us both. He will be far safer, I won't have to come home one day to find my cat cemented into the asphalt, and I will not have to replace 8 or ten objects in my home and spend the rest of the day cleaning when I had different plans.

Street smarts and vaccines have nothing on a 2-ton car or someone with a gun.

simmyandnunny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CommonOddity042

You would let him out among cat-chasing dogs? To get into constant fights with other cats who most likely have diseases? And let him sit by the edge of a heavily busy road which is constantly trolled by people, some who would have no qualms swerving to hit him because they "just plain hate cats" or because they're drunk? The road is so constantly peppered with roadkill here that you'd think people got paid $1000 per carcass. And I'm sure my neighbors would appreciate yet ANOTHER cat pooping in their flowerbeds and marking their houses. Of course he would stop being destructive quickly, he'd be killed! That is why I am trying so hard to create a more equilibrius state indoors, so that it is a better experience for us both. He will be far safer, I won't have to come home one day to find my cat cemented into the asphalt, and I will not have to replace 8 or ten objects in my home and spend the rest of the day cleaning when I had different plans.

Street smarts and vaccines have nothing on a 2-ton car or someone with a gun.
Good points, and well taken. I understand. I hope the suggestions Hissy gave you work well and that you all are very happy together. And for the record, I recognize your concern and the fact that you continued posting despite the reactions you received shows you care. Thanks for caring, and I apologize for making you feel bad.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to agree that letting him outdoors is not the answer. Perhaps you can find an answer here:

Meowhoo.com After having indoor/outdoor cats for years, I now have a nice cat enclosure. We built it ourselves, and I am quite proud of it. Of the 14 strays and ferals I do have, only three will not go into it. I am working with them slowly hoping to acclimate them and get them used to being in the house/enclosure only. Outdoors is no longer safe for my guys- I learned that the hard way after two of my cats had a run-in with cars.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just for clarification when I say ignore him, do so in short spurts of time, and never ignore feeding, watering and cleaning his litter pan, just petting and adoring him, tone it down and never pet him when he is meowing-

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol. he's always got food, water, a litterbox, and lots of petting, toys, and playtime. all bowls are checked frequently, and i clean all the litterboxes daily. i probably do pet him a little too much though. possibly why he seeks it so often... i pet him every time he is within reach, usually.

kittylady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dont have any advice. I just wanted to wish you the best with your cat.From your description he sounds like he is a beautifull boy. What is his name? I"m sorry I might have missed it in your posts.

Would love to see pics of him too.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CommonOddity042

lol. he's always got food, water, a litterbox, and lots of petting, toys, and playtime. all bowls are checked frequently, and i clean all the litterboxes daily. i probably do pet him a little too much though. possibly why he seeks it so often... i pet him every time he is within reach, usually.
I would say that he has you trained well. If you stop paying constant attention to him, you will calm him down considerably. He needs boundaries, and you need to set them, not create the behaviors within him that spoils him.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds very intelligent. Different techniques work for different cats. I hope you are able to settle him down a bit to make your life easier.

I totally agree with your decision to keep this boy inside. And I love Hissy's suggestions, I'm sure they will make a difference.

Do you have a big cat tree for him to climb? Maybe if some of your play with him involves LOTS of his energy it will help. For example, him climbing to the top of a cat tree (chasing a toy), running after crinkle balls, wrestling with a stuffed animal (might need to be spiked with catnip). And does he have a windowsill shelf so he can watch the great outdoors? Although my cats have always been inside, they love to "hunt" birds out the window.

When I first read your initial post, I saw your frustration, but also how much you have tried with this kitty. I'm sure you will see improvement, keep us posted!