destroying a Christmas tree!

9357m

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First, let me say Thanks to the many members of this forum that have helped me in the past. My rescued tabby with the so-called incurable illness is healthy as all get out and I believe much of it is due to info I read right here. She takes NO meds at all. Just diet, which is cat food that I can buy.
However, before I punch her in the nose, (just kidding) is there a safe way to keep the both of them out of a Christmas tree? I've put this thing back together several times this year. I did a search and most of the answers were geared towards letting them climb. If they weren't so big, this wouldn't be an issue. They break the branch holders! I laugh, but as they say, when momma's not happy, nobody's happy, if you get my drift! I have read that orange peels will keep them away. Has anyone here tried this? Is it harmful in any way.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are your cats?

Mine are ages 3-6. I've had Christmas trees up in the past, with minimal problems, but with older cats. I've also had the destroyed trees with younger cats in the house.

So my solution is no tree at this point. I decorate in other ways, ways that are not dangerous to them, and gives them little opportunity for destructive behavior.

For me, I much prefer not being stressed out with my cats, or worried about them or antique ornaments. Eventually, I'll be able to put up the tree again.

If I really had to have a tree, I think I'd get a very small one (3 feet) and decorate it with cloth, paper, popcorn, etc.

Love the photo, by the way. She's just doing what comes naturally, in my opinion. Being a cat. And there's nothing wrong with that. Glad she is well.

Robin

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried orange peels last year, Gus thought they were rather tasty. I also tried fabric soften sheets, He tore them to pieces. I am thankful this year he is leaving the tree alone.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I had younger cats (3 under the age of 4 yrs), I would find a way to secure the tree to a wall so I didn't have to worry about them knocking over. And of course, no glass balls or tinsel/icicles as cats love this stuff and if swallowed, can be like little razors in the GI tract and God help ya, if you ever see a cat with an icicle sticking out if its mouth, do NOT pull it out - go directly to Vet; pulling it out (unless it's a very short piece) can do damage.

Anyway.....i see in the picture you posted, it appears that your tree is next to some kind of cabinet or sideboard, is that true? If so, it would appear they might be climbing up onto that cabinet thingy and then accessing the tree from there. I'd relocate the tree to an area where there's no cabinet beside it. Apparently orange peel does work so I'd inconspicuously place bits of peel throughout (maybe cut them into nice circular shapes and place an ornament hook through so they look more like intended decorations LOL). Get a squirt bottle and give 'em a shot of water when you see them going near the tree.

I have 2 youngins now and knowing their curious, rowdy behavior, I knew enough not to put up a tree. When I had my oldies, the extent of my issues was them hiding under the tree and then jumping out and attacking whichever other cat would be strolling by (that was a hoot to watch). Mostly they'd just curl up on top of the quilted tree stand mat/cover thingy and have a snooze. NOTE: for those who use a REAL TREE.....be very careful that you cover up the dish thingy that you put the water in.......particularly if you add sugar. Cats are often attracted to the sweet water and there's stuff in the sap of the tree that if they drink it, can make them very sick. That's why I'd use a really substantial tree stand cover thingy...a nice thick quilted one that fully covered the basin.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two young cats (4 months, 1 1/2 years), and i only allowed myself a 4' tree because it was a fact that they were going to knock it down multiple times. Many people can't put up trees with cats around, each individual branch looks so much like a toy they can't help themselves. I will not be buying a big tree until both cats are a few years old at least.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

9357m

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all.
Bastet - they are 2 yrs old and very active which like you say is normal.
MB - The both of them will take fabric softener sheets and have a ball with them. Or socks, underwear...etc. Whatever laundry lying around becomes fair game.
Foodlady - They haven't knocked it over, yet! The cabinet behind it is a built-in with glass doors they can't climb. However, the cabinets are along side the fireplace. They go from the tree to the mantle.
We don't decorate with glass or use tinsel. Squirt water bottles work, but only when we are there to use them.

crazybird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats are all adults and I had mentioned previously that we were lucky, this was the first year there were no kitten fosters in the house to destroy the tree.....

Then we adopted Meatball (a failed foster) and he LOVES the tree.

Our youngest adult has a thing for eating EVERYTHING and he knocks our trees (pencil trees) over at least once every few days, stealing the ornaments and devouring what he can.

We use no breakable ornaments, no tinsel, no tinsely garland, just shatterproof balls, ribbon instead of the garland, and a wide base, which luckily they haven't pulled the whole tree over yet. (knock on wood).

We also have the problem of kitties chewing off the corners of the wrapping paper when the presents go under the tree, so this year they're stayin in the closet til closer to Christmas.

Good luck! Love the picture.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lynxx's
first Christmas we had 1 of those little trees.
Lynxx
knocked that over, and beat it up constantly. The next Christmas he was an adult, and we got our big tree, he loved it. He slept underneath it, and never once attacked it. We even put up a village underneath the tree, and he used to hang out in the village keeping watch over the little houses.

This is Luna and Midnight's first Christmas. We almost made it to Christmas with the tree. Luna started off knocking branches down, Midnight started off chewing the branches. We put their stockings on the tree, and Midnight ruined that by jumping into the tree, and stealing Luna's stocking. We did have lights on the tree from the top to 1/2 way down. Then we found Luna chewing on the lights, so we took the lights off right away. They began climbing the tree, chasing each other around in the tree. Luna wound up get cut bad enough on her face that she was bleeding, so the tree came right down. Maybe next year.