Desperately seeking stinky food for kitty with FLUTD :-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Smelliest food, paws down, is Go! Trout, which may be smelled through the bag and has a funk that will permeate the room. Wellness Core is pretty ripe, too, if you can get the cat to eat it. Royal Canin Special 33 is one they usually can't resist. As far as canned food goes, the non-fish ones all seem pretty tame. Heating them up will help, as others have suggested. Adding something like Wysong Dentatreat, liver powder, or Cosmic Tuna Flakes might make a difference.
Thanks!

I'm not familiar with Go!, but I'll look into it.  And I have to confess, I've never tried any Royal Canin flavors before because I've been hopelessly confused re: all of the options! ;-)

I'm afraid I haven't had much luck with Wellness Core.  But Buddy does like some of the Complete Health flavors.  Unfortunately, they're all fish flavored at this point, and I'm trying to move away from those if can since, if I understand correctly, there appears to be some debate as to whether or not that could be a contributing factor to his FLUTD.

Last night I finally got him to eat some duck flavored Blue Buffalo Wilderness.  It might not be the best option, but it's the first non-fish flavor canned food I've been able to get him to eat so far.  But next week when things settle down here a bit and I'm not so stressed and frazzled, I'm going to the store and buy a bunch of stuff that y'all have suggested to mix in with his food, and see if I can convince Buddy to give it a try.  Fingers crossed! :-)

And the pet fountain I ordered should be here Tuesday, so hopefully that will help, as well as the wonderful suggestions on the thread re: how to increase your cat's water intake.  You guys totally rock!

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a foster kitten years ago who had such a bad upper respiratory infection that he couldn't smell anything. At first we were syringe feeding him until the antibiotics began to help, and then it was months of fish, fish, and more fish because it was all he could find. Eventually, he would eat the Special 33 and a variety of canned foods, but it took a long time. Good luck with your little one!