Desperate

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Melissa,
That's great to hear!
About the scars, try buying some Vitamin E gel & putting that on ..... Vitamin E is supposed to make the scars disappear. I used some & some of my scars seemed to have faded.

lynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet if it is possible to get the medication in an injectionable form.

We had to opt for this with our cat when he became ill last month. He was always difficult to pill, but when prescribed a medication called Metronidazole, he became impossible to pill. This was partially due to the flavor and the chalkiness of the medication, and partially due to the fact that he is one of the few cats to have a very bad reaction to this particular medication--he began drooling to the point of actually looking rabid and it was having other adverse reaction on him as well such as nausea (and I think it depressed him). Anyway, as soon as we were able to get the pill in (after struggles that would last up to 15 minutes)--he would throw it up and salivate to no end.

Finally, after explaining the extent of the problem to the vets at the clinic that prescribed the meds, we were instructed to stop giving him the medication and he was prescribed a different type of antibiotic that came in an injectionable form--success at last. I was able to inject the antibiotic myself into the scruff of his neck and he did not seem to mind at all. I continued the injections twice a day for 2 weeks and it was very easy every time.

He is a very docile and downright sweet cat, too. And my husband and I tried everything when pilling him--but he did not want to take those pills and it just became counter-productive to struggle so much with a cat who was already quite weak.

Ask your vet about the possibility of injectionable meds for your cat--and good luck!

galensgranny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This won't help in this case, since the medicine is almost finished with, but, in the future see if the medicine prescribed comes in a liquid form. If so, several pharmacies sell flavored liquid medicines, and not just grape or bubble gum flavors for children. They also can get beef, fish and other flavors that appeal to animals! It turns out I could get my cat's asthma medicine in a beef flavored liquid form from the pharmacy in my local Kroger's grocery store. The vet never said anything about it, so either he doesn't know, or would rather people buy the meds from him. It turns out my cat takes his pills for his asthma unbelievably well, but I have another cat who is almost impossible to pill, so I sure will remember about the beef flavored medicine if he needs pills at some point.

What might help with these last few days of the meds is, if it is definately ok to crush the pills (not being time-released), crush the pill finely, mix it with butter to make a paste, then smear it thinly on the cat's paws and ankles. Cats hat to be "dirty" and will lick things off themselves. Spread it thinly enough else the cat will shake the clumps off. That's what we finally had to do with the cat who fought like crazy when we had to pill him.

briecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have anyone to help you? One person can hold her on their lap holding the front feet, and the other can tilt the head back, gently squeezing the sides of her mouth which will cause her to open her mouth, and drop the pill straight down?