desperate for information

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

QueenOf6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet in florida diagnosed her with SCC after a needle aspiration. He said cells look like scc under the microscope and his partner confirmed. I asked him to please send sample to lab for confirmation and he said he would but that he didn’t think it was necessary and that she was too far gone. Later I found out, the sample was never sent to the lab.

I asked Dr Levitske who treated Lola at the Brooklyn hospital about appropriate testing fo diagnose SCC, and he said it should be confirmed with tissue biopsy and that Needle aspiration would give false results due to excessive inflammation and not getting the tissue to be tested.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before I read the happy ending, I was quite sure it was an abscess, and thank God it was!
My first thought was that your Lola had a sharp foreign object piercing a her gums or inner side of the mouth and this caused the infection to grow fast.
My avatar photo is my Bridge cat Lola. She died to an oral SCC, so I really felt for you.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is an amazing story, and I am so happy that you were able to get her to the vet in Brooklyn. The cat I mentioned before who did have squamous cell carcinoma, had an actual biopsy, so that does support the theory that this should not be done with a needle aspiration.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am going to be perfectly honest here. I thought it was nuts to take her all the way to NY. in her condition. I also thought they had a real cancer diagnosis. I was so wrong! And I am so happy I was. You are an amazing person and a wonderful person for sticking to your guns and following your heart. Please give your brother a big hug. You both have saved your little cats life.
These vets don’t know everything and often get stuck on one diagnosis and refuse to let it go. I am so glad you advocated for your cat and got her some help.
I’ve seen cancer come up quick, but not that quick. I am so happy for all of you!!! Yes, it’s still going to be tough, but with you in your cats corner, I think she has all she needs!!!

QueenOf6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going to be perfectly honest here. I thought it was nuts to take her all the way to NY. in her condition. I also thought they had a real cancer diagnosis. I was so wrong! And I am so happy I was. You are an amazing person and a wonderful person for sticking to your guns and following your heart. Please give your brother a big hug. You both have saved your little cats life.
These vets don’t know everything and often get stuck on one diagnosis and refuse to let it go. I am so glad you advocated for your cat and got her some help.
I’ve seen cancer come up quick, but not that quick. I am so happy for all of you!!! Yes, it’s still going to be tough, but with you in your cats corner, I think she has all she needs!!!
What a sweet message! Thank you. She’s my soulmate, I couldn’t let this go without a fight! I am so grateful to my brother who was obnoxiously persistent about taking her in. I am throwing him a birthday party today to show him my appreciation.

QueenOf6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love this website so much. I’ve come here multiple times in desperate times and always found the help, direction, and support I needed. Everyone here is amazingly supportive, caring, loving, and knowledgeable in pet care. I appreciate you all ❤❤❤ from the bottom of my heart!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love this website so much. I’ve come here multiple times in desperate times and always found the help, direction, and support I needed. Everyone here is amazingly supportive, caring, loving, and knowledgeable in pet care. I appreciate you all ❤❤❤ from the bottom of my heart!
❤❤❤❤

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow i half expexted to find this thread locked. What a plesant surprise. She might have lost one life but at least it wasnt her 9th.

Im surprised you didn't smell anything with how big that thing was but maybe your brother did.

Our old golden had a stick stuck in his soft palate and it abscessed and reaked. He smelt like death.

QueenOf6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im surprised you didn't smell anything with how big that thing was but maybe your brother did.

Our old golden had a stick stuck in his soft palate and it abscessed and reaked. He smelt like death.
it smelled a little strange but it wasn’t deathly. She was definitely drooling, blood tinged/yellow-ish stuff. They told me this was from the tumor. Her jaw looked horrific, it had gotten so large that skin was beginning to develop tears and seep. Very sad all around but happy ending 🥰🥰🥰

QueenOf6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm in on this thread late but so happy to see the good news. How's recovery going? (And your recovery emotionally too!)
She is doing so well! She spent no more than a day in the playpen. We took her in on Tuesday, on Wednesday afternoon she pushed me aside and ran out of the playpen as I was going in to clean and give her food. She is active, walking around, jaw swelling is almost gone, she’s not draining as much any more. We’re still doing warm compresses, and clavamox continues. Appetite is increasing everyday. Today, after almost a week, she finally ate half can of wet food with some dry sprinkled on top, and I saw her licking her lips, lol

QueenOf6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow i half expexted to find this thread locked. What a plesant surprise. She might have lost one life but at least it wasnt her 9th.
Scares me when I think about it. I called the animal hospital I took her to in florida to speak with office manager and inform her what happened ( I was really polite and even broke down emotionally). She was still insisting that it might be cancer but glad that Lola is alive. She asked me if I can forward her records from NY so they can learn from this case. She plans to speak to the vet on Monday morning. I wanted him to know what happened so he is careful in his judgement next time he’s treating another fur baby. I can’t imagine how many animals out there die because of lack of appropriate judgement.