designing a cattery

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chipsahoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you want to know a secret................ I have learned that I don't want to be a breeder either.   That is not to say that I will never raise kittens, because I will.  A litter now and then to replenish the barn cats sometimes.  If I breed them I will either find them a home, or I will keep them. 

Where you are there might be lots of  colour point domestics, but there aren't around here.  The rescues around here would far rather put them to sleep than let the go to a barn.

Oh Yeah, when it comes right down to it, it has nothing to do with making money for me not at all.

Last edited:

chipsahoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This cat doesn't need a forever home, or a home where she will be adored.  She has already found one.  You don't want a cat like this, and work this hard to find one and not keep it and adore her.  Are you suggesting that a breeding cat can't be a happy cat? Then all the registered, ethical breeders are keeping unhappy cats.  That doesn't sound like something that they would do, does it? 

SO,  back to the original question, I would like to design an inside pen for the cats to live in when the barn is opened up and  let them prowl the barn when it is closed up.  Don't worry they will get person attention and love too, I go to the barn at least twice a day and often more than that.  So what does a "cat room" "cat pen" or  "Cat stall" need to keep the cats happy, content, and knowing in their adorable little hearts that we adore them?

Oh yeah,  I like that name for my cats "Seal point domestic".  thanks for that.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a tack room in the barn? With heat and all that? If no heat source, you'll need to make cozy little places for them to snuggle. Boxes filled with straw, even a whole house made of straw bales (I've seen that in a lot of barns but you need a lot of room). Food, water that's not frozen (in the winter either a heated bowl or replace it with warm water twice a day), a litterbox, toys, a cat tree would be nice.

There's no guarantee a pointed domestic will have pointed kittens, unless you find her a pointed husband. 2 pointed cats will always have pointed babies. Also, a litter "now and then" may not work out for you ;). If there's a male within 5 miles, she will almost always have 2 litters a year, maybe 3 although this is rare in northern climates. So will her daughters. I know barn cats have a high mortality rate :( but be prepared for a lot of cats.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
There's no guarantee a pointed domestic will have pointed kittens, unless you find her a pointed husband. 2 pointed cats will always have pointed babies. Also, a litter "now and then" may not work out for you
. If there's a male within 5 miles, she will almost always have 2 litters a year, maybe 3 although this is rare in northern climates. So will her daughters. I know barn cats have a high mortality rate
but be prepared for a lot of cats.
Very good point about the coloring. Colorpoint is a recessive trait, and unless you have colorpoints roaming in your area, which you say you don't, the likelihood of any local male carrying a copy of that gene is slim. Unless you keep her strictly indoors, she will get pregnant from other males and the kittens aren't likely to be colorpoints. If you provide them with shelter, food and vet care, mortality rates shouldn't be high and the cats could very well live happy lives. The only problem is you could end up having a couple of dozens of cats within a couple of years, and unless you spay and neuter them all, they'll keep on breeding...

I know some rescues do look for good homes for barn cats (as long as they're neutered and get food, shelter and vet care), so if you like, maybe we can help you find a local organization that will let you adopt cats as barn cats? They may even have the occasional colorpoint, or who knows, maybe you'll fall in love with a beautiful tabby or calico? 

As for keeping breeding cats happy. Ethical breeders limit the number of pregnancies, feed their cats top-quality food and give them top-notch vet care, including genetic screening tests, testing for parasites and more. Limiting the number of pregnancies can only be done if the cat is kept indoors-only. Healthy cats are happy cats, so I sincerely hope you'll be doing the same for your cat. I'm truly relieved to hear you adore her and will be giving her a forever home. Still hoping for a change of heart about spaying her too. 

chipsahoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There may be an interesting turn of events.................... As I was bringing her in the house, because I thought she looked cold in the barn, and was playing with her, I noticed that when I rubbed under her her nipples felt predominate.  I turned her over and rubbed her belly and the hair is all parted from around her nipples and they clearly look bright pink.  When I cat walks across the floor, and I am standing above her looking down, from side to side up by her back bone is a couple of inches, but side to side under her stomach is clearly a couple of inches wider.   To cup her belly in my hand, it feels very full and kind of like jello/.   I am thinking that they may have got rid of her, because she is already Pregnant?  I was going to worm her last night, but decided to hold off a bit to make sure she is not caring kittens.

chipsahoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So many of my ideas have not been liked so far, I  thought I would try yet another.

Fact 1 there are too many stray cats to indiscriminately breed kittens

Fact 2  I love kittens and want to raise kittens

Idea 30017

I could build a nice room in the basement, with tile floors, a scratching post, climbing shelves, litter box, ect.  Then I could ask the local shelter is they get a cat that comes in pregnant, if I could keep for them until the kittens are ready for new homes.  Then they take it back.  I don't know if a shelter would do that or not, but it would satisfy my desire to raise and love kittens, and they would be being born anyway ( not my fault) and  once I returned them to the shelter, it would be up to them to find them homes.   Do you think a shelter would let me do something like that?  I would supply the food, if they supplied the vet care.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could be a foster, yay!!
   Great idea! Shelters here are always crying out for foster homes, especially for pregnant kitties. What a wonderful idea. 

ldea 30017 is by far your best 

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

This is Jynx, my adorable barn cat, that as you can see is already sleeping on the bed, and we don't have a bed in the barn.
Oh she is gorgeous :rbheart:

I think you have done the right thing bringing her into your home. Cats should be family pets living in a nice warm home with human company, not suck out in a barn all by themselves ;)

I love your new idea about fostering pregnant strays :clap: :clap: this is brilliant plan :D

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

So many of my ideas have not been liked so far, I  thought I would try yet another.

Idea 30017

I could build a nice room in the basement, with tile floors, a scratching post, climbing shelves, litter box, ect.  Then I could ask the local shelter is they get a cat that comes in pregnant, if I could keep for them until the kittens are ready for new homes.  Then they take it back.  I don't know if a shelter would do that or not, but it would satisfy my desire to raise and love kittens, and they would be being born anyway ( not my fault) and  once I returned them to the shelter, it would be up to them to find them homes.   Do you think a shelter would let me do something like that?  I would supply the food, if they supplied the vet care.
Yay, I vote for Idea #30017!  
  That's a great plan.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Idea 30017

OK NOW YOU ARE TALKING !!!!! :lol3: :D :D :D I am on board with this idea, completely and was happy to see this change of heart in you. Thank goodness you are seeing the light. Yes, yes, many shelters would be very happy to have you as a foster mom. I have done that too - and know of many volunteer foster kittens families. It is hard, though, to give them all up. BUT, you have to be prepared ahead of time for those feelings and still stick to your original plan of being a foster kitten mom. There will be many other litters needing your love and care until they are old enough to go back to the shelter to be adopted out to loving homes. Good for you. :clap::clap:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I completely agree, that is the best idea yet!!

See, we are not against you or your ideas, we are simply trying very hard to educate you on the cat world, breeding, kittens, and so many of us devote much of our lives trapping, spaying/neutering, and rescuing the cats and kittens already born out there who will never have a chance to live their lives, there are just not enough homes, not by a landslide.

Which means, quite literally, for every kitten born, another will die. This is the horrible truth, this is why we are so big on spaying and neutering, and not allowing an unfixed cat to live outdoors where it will be pregnant time after time after time, depleting her of all nutrition for her own health, and making kittens who will be malnourished and unwell, and have noplace where they belong in this world.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

Idea 30017

An  excellent plan.  Shelters definitely need people to foster pregnant mums.  And you are very keen to do that.

I do so hope this works out for you, and you are able to let us know how you're going.

Jynx is adorable, and looks like she's well and truly landed on her paws with you.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Jynx is beautiful and looks very content to be lying on your bed 

I love your new plan and would like to add a suggestion, perhaps for the more distant future: care for a colony of feral cats around your barn. They could be very effective in taking care of your rat problem, and you could give them a good place to live. They would all be spayed/neutered and I promise you, their numbers will rise all the same over time, if people know it's a good place to re-locate feral cats too ;) Fostering and caring for ferals is a wonderful mix - the world of rescuing cats in need is extremely rewarding!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah: To Anne's suggestion above. If you contact any TNR Organization in your area they can help you with more information on becoming a barn feral caretaker and be able to start you out with a couple of kitties! Maybe even color points !!!! AND, they would be so very, very grateful to you. Excellent idea !!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Also, just adding, that you will see firsthand from volunteering and fostering from a shelter how many, many unloved, unwanted and homeless kitties there are and be so happy with your decision to do this instead of breeding a cat AND you will feel SO good inside about it. :heart3: :bigthumb:

Last edited:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is a great idea to work with a shelter to foster. If you are serious about it, I would make contact with a local shelter as soon as possible, before you start to build anything or go to any expense. Spend some time there as a volunteer and you will learn a lot about kitten care. At this time of year most shelters really need help. Then they will work with you to provide the best facilities possible. A reputable shelter will not just hand out kittens to anyone - they will want to get to know you first and be sure you will do the best for their kittens. And then you can design your cattery with their help. A win-win situation all round.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a very excellent idea! :D

As for your new girl, yes, she probably is pregnant. . .very few unspayed cats aren't pregnant this time of year. I guess that will get you started in your kitten-raising ventures. But do contact the shelter as soon as possible so you and they can start making plans.

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not a breeder and my girl lilly is spayed but I think the topic raised here is rather interesting is it ethical breeding if there are already so many beautiful and loving cats in shelters needing homes that are over looked for cats bought from a cattery I think until the over population situation is under control breeding should really be at a minimum obviously I know most breeders devote their time and energy to a specific breed for the purity and integrity of the breed. But what I do not understand is the people who breed moggies over and over putting the queen through the pain of mating and then birthing again and again. The lady whom I adopted Lilly from had let her queen get out while she was still nursing Lilly and her litter mates and she became pregnant again. She actually asked me what she should do and my answer was 'if you must let her outside have her spayed'. She clearly wasn't an 'ethical breeder' and simply allowed her cat to become impregnated over and over and over. I felt sorry for her and wished i could of took her to.