Desexing pro's & cons & how long does a heat cycle last?

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am getting them tested for what I can I'm mostly worried about FeLV and FIV. From what I have read on the saimese and the oriental  are quite hardy but are prone to Respiratory Problems, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Vestibular Disease also Siamese cats tend to have a more difficult time with anesthesia than other cats or so it says in my books and on a few net pages I visited as well as some heart and liver issues.

I have been talking to another vet closer to me bout other tests I could do  the vet said the only thing I could do is DNA testing of both of my cats but I was told it would cost a small fortune but I'm looking around to see if that is true. the vet  said even if they carry a genetic marker for a type of issue does not mean 100%  that cat will develop that issue or it's off spring would develop that issue. the vet went on to say that pure breds have more health issues then mix breeds and even breeders can't stamp their cats as 100% free from anything other then FeLV FIV as a cat can develop breed related issues.

I am trying my best to make sure any kitten that may be born from my cats are as healthy as possible with that said there is also only so much I can do to make sure to reduce the chance of health issues.
You really seem like a concerned kitty keeper. I commend you for that, if even half as many others who breed would put the care you do into their kittens, the world would be a bit better. If you do decide to have the little kittens, please post pictures. I love little kittens.

juleska

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

You really seem like a concerned kitty keeper. I commend you for that, if even half as many others who breed would put the care you do into their kittens, the world would be a bit better. If you do decide to have the little kittens, please post pictures. I love little kittens.
Hear hear! They are beautiful kitties @Morganalefae  ....best of luck and yes, please post pics of any kittens!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

morganalefae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will post pics if she does have a litter. I plan on taking them to the vet later this month the start of next when my male is due for his yearly shots and see about getting him tested for FeLV & FIV as originally suggested by the breeder I was talking to and will see how much genetic testing is for the cats and what my normal vet thinks on the whole subject i.e. would it make a difference and what the chances of developing or passing on the the kitten developing  said issues would be.

I'm still a bit concerned that so many people claim their cat/kitten is 100% free of genetic disorders. Now I wonder if breeders totally do away with cats that have tested as posative for any type of genetic disorder, If so would that not mean the gene pool is getting smaller and the risk of new issues cropping up in the shrinking gene pool be a little higher?

Either way I'm going to make sure I do the best for my cats papered or not. And I tell you what  I can't see why people have indoor outdoor or stright up outdoor cat(s) that are not desexed.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, sometimes selective breeding isn't quite the best thing for genetic health or diversity. When only the best are bred, this severely limits genetic diversity. The best thing for genetic health and diversity is for the maximum number of females (in cats, around 55%) to have one litter each, selections made for better health and temperament but not insisting on perfection on either count. But instead what happens is that breeders will breed their best cats several times (or irresponsible owners will allow a cat to have many litters). It really isn't the best for the long term but it's just sort of the way that human-influenced breeding of animals works :/. And of course people can't just go and let their cat have kittens in the interests of diversity, because that would result in an overpopulation which causes suffering. So it's all just kind of messed up. But that's all for a different discussion, probably :lol3:

Last edited: