Depression and aggression?

cjlovescats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As you might know, my cats best friend got killed by a car on Monday morning and has showed signs of sadness ever since. Today, I reached down to pet him and he made a deep grumbling noise that sounds like "nrrrrrm". He's just slouched against the wall now. He isn't eating much, and his appitite is usually large. Is he depressed? And he's an outdoor cat so should I be worried about feline suicide?

Last edited:

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have heard of older cats dying shortly after a cat they are strongly bonded to dies. Did he see friend die? Or does he just think he is missing?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having outdoor cats myself, a change of behavior means a physical problem. I had a pair (Buddy and Ashley) that were really close to each other. When Ashley went to the bridge, Buddy showed signs of being lonely but it lasted for a few days. He survived Ashley by another 5 years. 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think he just really misses his buddy. He's depressed, I'd say, poor boy.  I've read your thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/283604/can-cats-mourn#post_3608656 and see that his friend was not your cat, but they played together every day.

Cats grieve like humans grieve and go through a similar process. However if you find he's not eating enough or there are other physical concerns, you really need to see a vet.

I'm wondering how you would feel about getting another cat?