Depressed Cat

Mand0402

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Folks,

I have a 6.5yr old male British Blue who I think is depressed. I think he's bored :( I've moved a few different times but he seemed to really settle into the new house up till a few weeks ago when I had to travel with work a couple of times. The only thing that seems to make him happy is tuna. He doesn't really want to play, he's not ill, just seems bored.

Do you think a kitten would help? I've thought about it over the years as I always have to work during the day so he can't get outside, and with the dark nights now here he can't go out when I get home so it's only weekends but now he won't go out hardly at all. A kitten would maybe entice him to play and keep his spirits up?

I'm worried that bringing a kitten into the environment will make him more introvert?

Any comments are appreciated please?
Mand

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :welcomesign:

It sounds to me like your boy is more stressed than bored. He's had a lot of upheaval with all the moving, and my instinct is that your recent travelling was just too much for him to process.

Right now, I'd focus on getting his routine firmly back in place, implementing anti stress measures (such as Feliway diffusers), and help him to feel secure in any way you can. Sometimes a new toy (especially one for interactive playtime) can bring my guys out of their shell when they're stressing, so that's worth a go. You could add in a few new cardboard scratchers too, as they're a cheap and easy way to get his scent spread throughout the home.

I honestly think that a new kitten right now would be too much for him. At 6.5 years, a kitten might just be too hyper for him anyway. An adult cat might be easier to integrate, but even with that, I don't think the time is right. Focus on getting him back to himself first. A companion can come later, if you still feel its the right thing. These articles may help you find his purrfect companion down the road:-
Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty
A Kitten Or An Older Cat - Which Should You Adopt?

I had British Shorthairs for years (the last passed in January :rbheart:) - three creams and a blue-cream in total. I'd love to see pics of your boy :camera:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mand0402

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply. I may not have written my first message correctly. I have moved 3 times in his 6yrs, the last being 4 months ago. He settled well into this new home up until a few weeks ago. Historically I left him in a Cattery when I went away but he always lost weight there, so I found a cat sitter for him the last two times to come to my house. I thought maybe that plus being at work during the day was making him depressed. I don’t think he is stressed to be honest.

We had a cream for 17 years, he was beautiful. I’ll attach pics of both my boy, Monty, and our family cat, TC.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both beautiful cats! Your boy looks healthy and happy there! Four months is not long in a cats world, he could be stressed from moving. I, too. think a kitten would be too much, they are much too hyper and demand play instead of asking. I think a companion may relieve his boredom, but you'll have to be ready for a lengthy introduction. Cardboard scratchers are a great idea, all of my cats use them several times a day. A kickeroo is the favorite play toy, they grab them and bunny kick all the time. Pick up most of his toys and put them in a plastic bag with catnip. Alternate them every few days to keep his interest up. Catnip works wonders for a bored cat! I would try all of the above first, and if he still seems bored, and you are gone most of the day, an older more settled cat may be the ticket. I would get another neutered male, females 9 out of ten times, get to be little divas when they get older and like to boss the boys around, instead of being a playmate. Get one that gets along with other cats, the shelter or breeder can help you with this, and has a temperament that matches your own cat's. You don't want to put an extrovert with an introvert. some shy cats will improve when they get into a loving environment, so make sure you observe them over several visits, and see if they warm up. Cats become familiar with other cats over time, so swapping scents and allowing them to observe each other without actual contact is crucial. That is when a large crate or wire dog cage comes in handy and so does swapping rooms. I think your cat would do well with a companion, after you find out if he is stressed or not. Cats become quiet and withdrawn when they are stressed, it would mimic boredom, so you don't want to add to it. Good luck and keep us posted!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Such beautiful boys :redheartpump::lovecat3::redheartpump:

I agree with everything di and bob di and bob said. Stress can often mimic depression in cats (especially in less severe cases), and that seems like more likely cause for Monty's current lack of joie de vivre. Either way, anti stress measures will likely help him, especially things like a familiar routine, and daily interactive playtime with you.

I'm not saying that, ultimately, a second cat would be the wrong decision, but I think you need to give Monty some more time to truly settle back into his routine and really be 100% comfortable in his new(ish) home before you take that step :winkcat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mand0402

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Everyone I really appreciate the feedback. I went to the Pet shop and bought him some things to entertain him, and he loved one of the kickeroo toys. I’ll take your advice and hold off with the new addition. It was more for him for but I wasn’t at all sure how it would go. Hopefully he will pick up soon