Depo-Medrol Is it killing my cat?

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I have a 19 1/2 year old cat. He went to the vet. (A new vet I just moved) just for his regular blood work etc. He has had like congestion and I told the vet about. He also had lost some weight. Other than that he was eating playing and doing all the normal things.

The vet gave him a Depo-Medrol shot. I think without asking. I don't remember. He thought my cat had asthma and said it should help. He did bloodwork asked if I wanted to do an xray but I declined. The blood was all normal.

The next day my cat was not himself and was breathing rapidly. I took him to the ER where they said he was in heart failure. Now he did have a bad heart they discovered with fluid around the lungs. Something that was definitely happening for sometime but this mixed with the shot I guess put him.over the edge. They admitted him and he responded well to the therapy and I took him home. That was yesterday.

Since being home he has no appetite. Just licks of food maybe a treat if I'm lucky. He won't rest comfortable and put his head down. He used to.curl up all comfy now he is so tired but tries to keep.his head up and falls asleep barely.

I took him back to the emergency at 3 am last night thinking this is it. But the vet did an xray and said the heart failure has improved a lot. There was hardly any fluid and the heart not as enlarged in just a day. I showed her pictures of his old self and his new sleeping. She advised I get a potassium IV because he was low on that. We did that and one of his meds made a lower dose to see of it would help the appetite. Got him on a new anti nausea and I went home with another appetite stimulate to try tomorrow.

He showed some improvement when I got him home and actually laid comfortable...but now we are back to the same stuff and he's still not eating. I got some high cal gel on him a treat and some licks of gravy fancy feast.

I'm just super upset about this shot even though I know he had this heart thing before. I feel like it sped up the end. I still have small hope but not a ton.

I want to note the vet that did the shot had good intentions. I honestly blame myself more than anything.

Any advise comment etc would love to know.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry this is happening to your old guy. Did the ER Vet indicate the Depo could be the cause? There have been other cases here where cats have had very bad reactions to Depo. I guess it's like every other drug out there, some cats do well on it, and others not so much. I'm hoping you guy can pull through this. I can't offer any advice since the injection is long term (4 weeks). Just follow the ER Vets advice for what to do to get him through it :alright: . We'll be pulling for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry this is happening to your old guy. Did the ER Vet indicate the Depo could be the cause? There have been other cases here where cats have had very bad reactions to Depo. I guess it's like every other drug out there, some cats do well on it, and others not so much. I'm hoping you guy can pull through this. I can't offer any advice since the injection is long term (4 weeks). Just follow the ER Vets advice for what to do to get him through it :alright: . We'll be pulling for you.
Yes it bothers me that it doesn't go away for a long time. He's fighting but I don't know he can do it with his age.

Yes the ER vet said it put him into heart failure. They said it would of happened sooner or later but it tipped the scales.

Now his body is all out of balance. I'm hopeful a tad today but he's still not eating.

I hope he can turn around.