Deodorant/Antipersperant

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since we were talking about soap in the Q of the day questions, I thought I'd throw this out there. The deodorant/antipersperiant I used to use was unscented and lately they have added a "masking agent." So it is no longer unscented, which they don't seem to realize. When I complained to them, they sent me a $5 off coupon for the product. It wasn't the cost, it was the perfume-y smell which bothers me a lot. Some scents I can tolerate, but that not real strong perfume-y smell.

I'm having a hard time finding an alternative that is truely unscented with no "masking agent." So my question is, does anybody know of one they can recommend?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use Lume. They are redoing some things so I can't speak for the new formulas but I'm hopeful. The deodorant itself; even the scented ones, hasn't had a lasting scent. There is a bit of deodorant smell at first but it's gone within minutes to me. It doesn't have an antiperspirant though.

DD uses Secret Clinical Strength Free & Sensitive and it doesn't seem to have much scent to me. I just went to sniff it and theres a very vague sweetish bit but I had my nose really up in it to pick that up. I never notice a scent around her either. She used Dove for a while but she wasn't getting as good odor control and she does seem to sweat a lot more than I do. I'm still hoping that'll all lessen as her hormones adjust through these pubescent years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got Almay for sensitive skin. It doesn't have a scent, but I'm making a list of everything on this thread to check out. I've very sensitive to scents and what might not seem strong or noticeable to others, bothers me a lot.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use Dove unscented. I have thought about trying Lume since I started seeing the ads on TV. I think it is now sold at Target so I might try it. I avoid having my credit card number on a lot of websites, so I really didn't want to order it.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got Almay for sensitive skin. It doesn't have a scent, but I'm making a list of everything on this thread to check out. I've very sensitive to scents and what might not seem strong or noticeable to others, bothers me a lot.
That’s wise - I suspect the QV would fall into that category. I don’t notice any scent when I’m wearing it, just a very faint one when I’m spraying it, but that might be a lot stronger to you.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've read that coconut oil, baking soda, and cornstarch made at home can be a good deodorant, but other people say it can leave a rash. I've never tried it, personally.
It doesn't help sweating/perspiration, but if body odor is an issue, I swear by taking liquid chlorophyll.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Dove unscented. I have thought about trying Lume since I started seeing the ads on TV. I think it is now sold at Target so I might try it. I avoid having my credit card number on a lot of websites, so I really didn't want to order it.
I looked at that on the Target site but I think it all had some sort of scent listed.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s wise - I suspect the QV would fall into that category. I don’t notice any scent when I’m wearing it, just a very faint one when I’m spraying it, but that might be a lot stronger to you.
It might be. I know I'm more sensitive than most people. Some scents don't bother me, it just depends.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the Dove Aluminum Free deodorant but you might want to try this one by Dove that is unscented: Advanced Care Antiperspirant Deodorant Stick Unscented Sensitive
Like a lot of other so called unscented I've looked at, this one includes fragrance.

Active Ingredient: Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex GLY (15.2%)

Inactive Ingredients: Stearyl Alcohol, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Isopropyl Palmitate, PPG-14 Butyl Ether, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PEG-8, Dimethicone, Fragrance (Parfum), Silica, Polyethylene, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Steareth-100, BHT.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Lume. They are redoing some things so I can't speak for the new formulas but I'm hopeful. The deodorant itself; even the scented ones, hasn't had a lasting scent. There is a bit of deodorant smell at first but it's gone within minutes to me. It doesn't have an antiperspirant though.

DD uses Secret Clinical Strength Free & Sensitive and it doesn't seem to have much scent to me. I just went to sniff it and theres a very vague sweetish bit but I had my nose really up in it to pick that up. I never notice a scent around her either. She used Dove for a while but she wasn't getting as good odor control and she does seem to sweat a lot more than I do. I'm still hoping that'll all lessen as her hormones adjust through these pubescent years.
I looked at that in the store. You can't check the scent unless you buy it and it's not cheap. Here are the ingredients I just searched for:

Active Ingredient: Aluminum Zirconium Trichlorohydrex Gly 20% (anhydrous) Inactive Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Tribehenin, Petrolatum, Cyclodextrin, C18-36 Acid Triglyceride, Fragrance, PPG-14 Butyl Ether

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
What scent do you use?

I bought a tube of Lume, a few months ago. I could not stand the smell of it. It smelt so bad.. like bad BO, trying to be masked by a fragrance; but missing.. It was so bad!
I could not even think of putting it on my body! Went directly into the trash.

I did look up their reviews. Yup, a ton of reviews mentioning the Body Odor smell.

I use Secret, or Mitchum. I seem to form a lot of sweat and stinky BO, easily.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What scent do you use?

I bought a tube of Lume, a few months ago. I could not stand the smell of it. It smelt so bad.. like bad BO, trying to be masked by a fragrance; but missing.. It was so bad!
I could not even think of putting it on my body! Went directly into the trash.

I did look up their reviews. Yup, a ton of reviews mentioning the Body Odor smell.

I use Secret, or Mitchum. I seem to form a lot of sweat and stinky BO, easily.
I find the deodorant itself has a smell but it disappears very quickly when applied. It doesn’t smell like body odor to me though. My favorite scents have been the Lavender Sage, Jasmine Rose and Gardenia (which I think was a limited time one and my most favorite). Supposedly whatever changes they’ve made were because of those complaints. But really; once applied its gone so I didn’t agree with them. I just hope it still works as well because its the best I’ve found.

The only one I haven’t loved is their coconut something one. The scents don’t last anyway; but still. It does last me a long time though. I usually bundle 3 and only order maybe twice a year. I will switch to traditional Secret in summer if I’m wearing nice clothes and its hot.

I did have good results with Schmidts for a while but then I started getting a rash. Apparently that’s common. Toms of Maine didn’t work for me.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Since we were talking about soap in the Q of the day questions, I thought I'd throw this out there. The deodorant/antipersperiant I used to use was unscented and lately they have added a "masking agent." So it is no longer unscented, which they don't seem to realize. When I complained to them, they sent me a $5 off coupon for the product. It wasn't the cost, it was the perfume-y smell which bothers me a lot. Some scents I can tolerate, but that not real strong perfume-y smell.

I'm having a hard time finding an alternative that is truely unscented with no "masking agent." So my question is, does anybody know of one they can recommend?
I went on a date once and he complemented me on my deodorant. Accidentally bought scented. Didn't see him again. I use secret unscented

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have heard an alum block can be used for that i do know it works great after shaving your face on any lil cuts that bleed and razor burn.the alum has zero scent to it not sure how you would use it as a deodorant though