Dentists - Do you go yearly?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got a call from my denist - telling me that its been a year since I've been in to get my yearly teeth clean and check up

I'm usually pretty good about going in, but its SO expensive! I don't have dental insurance, as the coverage on the policy isn't good at all
Plus it doesn't cover check up's like that.

Do you go to the dentist for yearly cleanings? Or just when you have a tooth problem?

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I am ridiculously irresponsible about that. I only go when absolutely necessary. A couple of weeks ago my tooth was hurting so bad and I got so sick I went to the doctor, who told me that my wisdom tooth had to come out with in the next couple of weeks or it would crack my lower jaw! I had waited through the pain for so long that it had gotten really impacted. Yikes! So, I had to go for emergency dental surgery, they had to remove part of my jaw bone too! (ok, that sounded melodramatic, it was really small parts, lol.) BUT, I was awake for it all! Now that was the bad part, the only good part was the vikaden (sp.?) afterwards!

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LIKE to get to the dentist at least once a year for teeth cleaning and all that stuff, but like you said it is expensive. It really is, and it's ridiculous if you DO keep excellent care of your teeth.

I say, if you brush, and floss, and use mouth wash, at LEAST once a day, and your teeth dont hurt, and your gums arent bleeding...I think you're ok to not go.

Just my opinion, Im not a dentist, so i dont know what else could go wrong in there. But really...if you're not hurting, and you take care of them, you're straight.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well since i had braces i go to my orthodontist pretty often, But i do need to get a check up and clean up from my dentist this week.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go every six months. My dental insurance is really good. I don't think I even have to pay a copay for a cleaning. My dentist has also been my dentist for about 10 years or so!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

I go every six months. My dental insurance is really good. I don't think I even have to pay a copay for a cleaning. My dentist has also been my dentist for about 10 years or so!
I wish I could afford to go every 6 months! I've been going to my densit since I was old enuf to go to the dentist! I love the feeling after you go - all clean, but the feeling while your there....just isn't so pleasant!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I wish I could afford to go every 6 months! I've been going to my densit since I was old enuf to go to the dentist! I love the feeling after you go - all clean, but the feeling while your there....just isn't so pleasant!
my dentist loves me! They always say that I am the posterchild for good dental hygiene!!
I bet it is expensive to have to pay out of pocket!!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go twice a year also, but only since we got dental insurance........before that, nope!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

my dentist loves me! They always say that I am the posterchild for good dental hygiene!!
I bet it is expensive to have to pay out of pocket!!
VERY!! Last spring I went and it was about $150 JUST FOR A CLEANING!

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its so important. My dad neglected his mouth growing up. Now that he is older instead of paying the $150, he pays in the thousands per visit. He has stressed how important it is to me because he dosen't want me to go through all of this. I go twice yearly but I'm also fortunate to have dental insurance. It might be worth checking out getting your own policy?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

Its so important. My dad neglected his mouth growing up. Now that he is older instead of paying the $150, he pays in the thousands per visit. He has stressed how important it is to me because he dosen't want me to go through all of this. I go twice yearly but I'm also fortunate to have dental insurance. It might be worth checking out getting your own policy?
I also neglected my teeth, and I am paying for it now. I do have cleanign twice a year, but my insurance covers it.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got sick in high school & couldn't go to the dentist, so I haven't been there since then. I belive it has been 3 years. Before then, I went once a year. No insurance coverage back then. I was planning on going soon, but the darn insurance company won't believe that I am in college & are arguing on whether or not they have to pay for medical/dental stuff. They won't pay on my once a month prescription that cost $150...out of mom & dad's pocket last month. So, instead of going to the dentist, I am getting my prescription.

Besides that, my dentist is creepy!
My cousin offered to do it for cheap, but he's even creepier!
Not really, I just like to pick on him.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a DHMO so I don't have to pay anything for my dental visits and I usually go every 6-9 months. I have very soft teeth so almost everytime I go I have a cavity, not bad to the point where it hurts, but I'd rather them catch it quick then have to drill to china. Only problem is that under the DHMO, silver fillings are covered but if you want a "white" filling you have to pay a little. So I'm cool with silver fillings, cause my cavities are not usually right in the middle of my front tooth, but here's the catch: my DHMO dentist doesn't DO silver fillings!!! trying to make a little extra money, eh? In fact, they did a white filling on my ex-step-daughter.... on one of her baby teeth!!!!! I'm goin to search for another dentist, when I get around to it

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I have a DHMO so I don't have to pay anything for my dental visits and I usually go every 6-9 months. I have very soft teeth so almost everytime I go I have a cavity, not bad to the point where it hurts, but I'd rather them catch it quick then have to drill to china. Only problem is that under the DHMO, silver fillings are covered but if you want a "white" filling you have to pay a little. So I'm cool with silver fillings, cause my cavities are not usually right in the middle of my front tooth, but here's the catch: my DHMO dentist doesn't DO silver fillings!!! trying to make a little extra money, eh? In fact, they did a white filling on my ex-step-daughter.... on one of her baby teeth!!!!! I'm goin to search for another dentist, when I get around to it
Come to my dentist in Solon Katie......he's a great guy!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I always went once a year, and never had any problem with my teeth until two years ago. Now I have paradontosis, and have to have my teeth professionally cleaned 3 - 4 times a year. My health insurance paid for the "deep" cleaning (painful), but doesn't cover the regular cleaning. It's definitely a lot cheaper than extractions and dentures, though.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We all go every six months for cleaning and check-up. I've been a regular dentist visitor since I was a small child and we started taking our daughter when she turned 3. They never actually did anything to her teeth at that age but she would sit on my tummy and watch as they cleaned my teeth and then the dentist would sit her in the chair and just use the mirror and look at her teeth to get her used to him and visiting a dentist.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Come to my dentist in Solon Katie......he's a great guy!
]

I had an awesome dentist in Medina, but he wasn't part of the DHMO and between me, Brian and his daughter, paying so much out of pocket wasn't financially feasible at that time. Since its just me now I may go back to him- I hate my DHMO!!