Dental Water Additives- Do They Work?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know if the additives that you can add to drinking water for cats to clean their teeth actually work? I’m specifically thinking of C.E.T. Aquadent. Any evidence to support its usefulness would be helpful.

My cat doesn’t drink water from a bowl because she’s on all wet but I was thinking maybe I would add it to a bit of water and then add the water to her wet food?

Thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Upon further research apparently this stuff contains toxic ingredients?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well if it has toxic ingredients I would avoid it. Some vets will recommend them but remember that nothing will be better then dental cleanings regularly. Or at least a couple times in their lives. Nothing is going to scrape that build up off their teeth.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well if it has toxic ingredients I would avoid it. Some vets will recommend them but remember that nothing will be better then dental cleanings regularly. Or at least a couple times in their lives. Nothing is going to scrape that build up off their teeth.
I am planning to get a dental cleaning at some point. But my cat hates me brushing her teeth so I thought maybe this could be an alternative. Probably not though.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine many cats tolerating a brushing but more power to you for trying! I mean I am not saying don't do it, you can also use dental treats, feed raw meat for them to gnaw on, etc. It will prolong the teeth needing cleaned and save more teeth in the long run. I just mean it isn't a miracle cure, its not to be used in place of dental cleanings. That's all.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine many cats tolerating a brushing but more power to you for trying! I mean I am not saying don't do it, you can also use dental treats, feed raw meat for them to gnaw on, etc. It will prolong the teeth needing cleaned and save more teeth in the long run. I just mean it isn't a miracle cure, its not to be used in place of dental cleanings. That's all.
I used to brush my previous cat’s teeth every day. He was used to it because we started when he was a kitten.

I’m not trying to replace a dental cleaning, but want to help maintain teeth cleanliness. I can’t afford to pay for a cleaning every year.

I don’t think dental treats work, raw bones are good, but many cats don’t know how to chew them.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've had a couple of people tell me that those additives don't work at all. The most they do is give them a minty fresh breath for a couple of hours or so. But I've personally never used it, especially since my cat doesn't really drink water like yours. And I can't imagine he'd like the taste of it.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use a food supplement called Plaque Off for Asha, and it seems to work pretty well (and gets eaten without any issues). I think it's seaweed based, and is very safe to use.

Another option is to just feed a little kitty toothpaste as a treat. It won't work as well as if you actually brushed it on the teeth, but it still has significant benefits as compared with doing nothing.

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use a food supplement called Plaque Off for Asha, and it seems to work pretty well (and gets eaten without any issues). I think it's seaweed based, and is very safe to use.

Another option is to just feed a little kitty toothpaste as a treat. It won't work as well as if you actually brushed it on the teeth, but it still has significant benefits as compared with doing nothing.
Where do you get the Plaque Off? The price I am seeing on Amazon is a bit steep until I am sure my cat won't refuse the additive--around $15 for 40.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get it on Amazon or from my vet usually. It might be cheaper here in the UK, but not massively so. One little tub lasts ages, as you only need a tiny amount per day. I use it for Asha and my Labrador (who gets triple what Asha gets), and one tub lasts at least a month for the two of them. I've not had problems about it getting eaten, so long as I use a favourite food to mix it in. It doesn't have a noticeable smell to it, which definitely helps.

I understand your hesitation though. It's a lot to gamble if your girl won't eat it. Maybe see if Chewy have it for less :dunno:

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know if the additives that you can add to drinking water for cats to clean their teeth actually work? I’m specifically thinking of C.E.T. Aquadent. Any evidence to support its usefulness would be helpful.

My cat doesn’t drink water from a bowl because she’s on all wet but I was thinking maybe I would add it to a bit of water and then add the water to her wet food?
I've tried 2 different dental water additives, neither seem to make a huge difference, but I'm speaking from literally 7 months total of cat care experience, so take it with a grain of salt. I have considered Plaque Off though, since I always hear so much about it.

My boys don't really drink from their bowl either, so sometimes I do put a bit of the additive into the water that I put on their food. They don't notice it. But like I said, I really haven't noticed a difference. Still, just in case there is a tiny difference that I haven't seen, I continue to use it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried many of the additives and the ONLY one my cats don't refuse (I think they smell it) is Oratene that I get at Amazon. I started using it when I had a 200.00 bill for teeth cleaning for a cat that I found a home for. That was about 8 years ago, and I've used it ever since. My vet always comments how clean my cats teeth are, and Burt had beautiful teeth at seventeen. It prevents the bacteria and build up from forming at all. I have 4 cats that use it and none have had teeth cleaning, even Casper who is ten. As long as the vet says my cats teeth look good i'll keep using it. So I believe in it, it works for me!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I got some Plaque-Off but then I read it shouldn't be used for cats with hyperthyroidism. One of my cats has been treated for hyperthyroidism before and since all my cats share food bowls, I didn't want to risk her eating it. I don't use water additives because we only have water fountains with filters and I figured the additive would get filtered out. :think:

I've tried brushing my cats' teeth. One out the four enjoyed chewing on the toothbrush :lol: but that's as far as I got. Maybe I'll try your suggestion, Columbine Columbine and try giving the toothpaste to them as more of a treat.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll try your suggestion, Columbine Columbine and try giving the toothpaste to them as more of a treat.
It really is great advice. I brush my boys' teeth every night, and they aren't huge fans of it, but they put up with it because after I finish brushing I let them lick a tiny bit right from the tube, and they LOVE that. And if they're ever just not putting up with a brushing, I stop so I don't stress them out, and let them lick from the tube anyway.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl hates all toothpastes :( Doesn't matter the flavour. :dunno: