Dental Stuff: implant vs bridge vs plate

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the input everyone.

We've decided to make the dentist appt. to start the process of doing either an implant or a plate. Reasoning: if we do the plate now, we can always go back and do the implant at a later date (having something there would help avoid some bone loss from what they told me).

So I'll be calling on Monday to start the process (most likely an implant).

I don't know how long the wait is here for an oral surgeon (none in my town, I have to go to a neighbouring city) but now is the time for me to do it..... while I'm awaiting surgery on my other hand, and recovery from that....meaning I won't have to take time off from school/training to do this.

Our insurance does not cover this either.... none of the options
Insurance will cover if I already had a plate and needed another tooth added, but not the initial plate (and of course, nothing as far as the implant goes).

Thx again folks, appreciate the experiences.

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How many people have implants or a plate put in because they had their wisdom teeth out and were afraid of bone loss? I sure didnt...

How many people are aware that Novocaine isnt even an anesthetic used in dentistry these days? Are most people aware of the dangers of articane/septocaine which is highly used in Canada but not as much in the USA?
http://www.nodentalpain.com/ArticaineParesthesia.html

There was a known class action suit against septodent in the state of Texas recently.. now all packages of septocaine in the USA have a package insert warning against the dangers of using it.. Canada does not....... And if Canada has higher medical requirements than the USA? Why are Canadian dentists still using septocaine and sending nerve damaged patients to US for microsurgery nerve repair?

I suppose only once i did become "disabled" because of dental negligence in the USA did i become aware of what really goes on in the world of dentistry... http://www.dentalfraudinflorida.com/

I for one would never ever consider having an implant.. or to be injected injected with septo....or to have sargenti paste as a root canal filler.. If i had done my research before agreeing to wisdom tooth extraction in 2001 and found that 90% of the time they dont need to be removed then i would not have ended up with permanent disabling nerve damage either....

ncat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Re: Dental Stuff

I had an implant about a year ago and it was a looooong process....the bone graft, healing, etc. took many months to complete.  The dentist I had has a very fine reputation, is very careful and very expensive.  With all the cleanings in between, the bone graft, the extraction, it came to close to $10,000.  I found that no two implants are alike. My husband's implant was about $5,000 and my friend's was about $3,000.  I find the charges a bit mysterious but I did have my regular dentist checkout the bill and he said it was fair.  So I guess my needs were greater than most.  However, I will say he did a great job.

Also, I just opted for a dental plate for two missing molars (my troubles started as a teen and I have a mouthful of fillings) and so far it is ok.  I just didn't want to go through the whole annoying process of an implant. I found all the hammering, etc., of getting the implant really tedious. I didn't have a lot of pain ( I take lots of vitamins), so pain wasn't the issue. I never even had to take a Tylenol.I just hated all the novocaine shots and all the time in the chair with all the equipment in my mouth.

I'll see how the plate works out.  It's not the most convenient, but it was a lot cheaper!  Not great for chewing so far, but I've only had it about a week. I'm getting used to putting it in and taking it out.