dental needed yet? with pictures! grade?

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm back again with yet another issue.

I have a 3+ (4 on 16th may) scottish fold kitty.
He last had a dental done around august/october of 2019.
He had a kidney scare (crea and bun were borderline high on blood work, but SDMA and USG ended up normal) - so no significant kidney issues (Thank God), but that scared me ever since then.

I've been trying to brush his teeth, although i would admit i haven't been the most dutiful as he struggles when i try to brush it for him. As of the last time i've been to two different vets, i've heard different opinions on whether i should get a dental quite soon or i can afford to wait it out. my only reason with waiting it out would be because if possible, i want to stretch out the times that i would need to put him under GA again. but my concern with waiting it out - i'm worried it'd get too bad to the point it would not be totally reversible?

Can anyone tell me if these teeth are of grade 2 currently already, and if you would recommend for a dental asap or i can afford to wait? :( thank you! i can't really tell/ i don't know how to see the gums etc, so would really appreciate if someone is able to tell me more.

the pictures somehow make it look whiter than it actually is in real life? it looks more yellow and stained with tartar in real, but i can't really seem to get the same degree of colour from pictures. the last picture although more blurry, seems more true to colour.

Attachments

Strawberry Purrs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe, but I'm not any kind of dental expert. I was just comparing with pics.
Screenshot 2022-02-27 9.32.22 AM.png

Don't think so though.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t be putting off a dental, the back most premolars look quite bad. Make sure to get a dental X-ray done to make sure he doesn’t need teeth removed. He definitely has gingivitis, as well. Are you brushing his teeth at home?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm back again with yet another issue.

I have a 3+ (4 on 16th may) scottish fold kitty.
He last had a dental done around august/october of 2019.
He had a kidney scare (crea and bun were borderline high on blood work, but SDMA and USG ended up normal) - so no significant kidney issues (Thank God), but that scared me ever since then.

I've been trying to brush his teeth, although i would admit i haven't been the most dutiful as he struggles when i try to brush it for him. As of the last time i've been to two different vets, i've heard different opinions on whether i should get a dental quite soon or i can afford to wait it out. my only reason with waiting it out would be because if possible, i want to stretch out the times that i would need to put him under GA again. but my concern with waiting it out - i'm worried it'd get too bad to the point it would not be totally reversible?

Can anyone tell me if these teeth are of grade 2 currently already, and if you would recommend for a dental asap or i can afford to wait? :( thank you! i can't really tell/ i don't know how to see the gums etc, so would really appreciate if someone is able to tell me more.

the pictures somehow make it look whiter than it actually is in real life? it looks more yellow and stained with tartar in real, but i can't really seem to get the same degree of colour from pictures. the last picture although more blurry, seems more true to colour.

His gums look inflamed at the back to me, especially the lower one in one pic. So I would probably go ahead now and not wait if your dvm suggested it. I am certainly not an expert on this and I am sure my kitties teeth look bad and ask about it at dvm but they say they are ok. I brush them and or wipe them with toothpaste as often as possible.

One dvm said she prefers wiping with gauze and toothpaste.