Dental cleaning in a senior cat?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just adding tons of vibes for your beautiful little girl tomorrow, but I am sure she will do just fine :vibes:
Mom always needs as much vibes as the kitties, as I know, we become a wreck when they are in.... So here is some for you too :vibes: :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yuki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much, all of you <333 I'm sure in a few hours when I pick her up, all the worrying will just seem silly, but even knowing this, it's hard to avoid.

I feel a lot better today after seeing the results of her tests. The vet thinks she has a vitamin deficiency and encouraged me to change her diet—something I had already been planning on once I started reading, a few days ago, about how terrible commercial food is for them. They're currently on Meow Mix, since they don't like anything else, but they're going to have to get used to a more healthy food. He also said she has a slight infection, almost definitely because of the teeth, and will be on antibiotics.

But every thing else, including her liver and kidneys, came back super. He said that despite the small infection and the vitamin problem, neither of these has had a major impact on her health—yet! So I'm glad we caught those in time and will be able to resolve them. I'm to call in an hour or so to see if she's ready to be picked up and will get a copy of the test results when I go get her.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap: :clap: :hugs:

Yes, it's never to late to improve the diet. :) Since you'll likely be chatting with the vet, another great idea (and I don't know why more vets don't recommend it in senior kitties!) to ask about is the addition of digestive enzymes. These will help her digest the food more efficiently. :nod:

More :hugs: and :vibes: until you pick her up and bring her home!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
just checking in to see how's it's going!  (I guess I'm a little early yet!)

yuki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just called the vet, and he said they're done—and she did just fine! He says there were no problems, that she's awake, but she's a bit groggy. He wants to keep her until 4:30pm (currently it's 12:30 here, PST) to send her home fully awake and recovered. I'm so relieved. I've finally been able to unclench my jaw, haha. I can't wait to have her home, and I'm sure she can't either.

LDG, I'll definitely ask about that when I'm over. Thanks for the suggestion! =)

yuki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Princess is home! =D

She's been home for almost three hours. The vet said to expect her to be groggy and nauseated until tomorrow, and that I could offer her a little food but she might refuse it or vomit.

Well, she's certainly animated. She's wobbling all over the house, being a bit restless. She used her litter box, drank some water, and checked every (empty) dog food dish. I gave her about 1/2 a can of cat food over the course of two hours - small mouthfuls first to see if her stomach could handle it. It's been about thirty minutes since she last ate, and she's keeping it down. She's still asking for more, however.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Oh, what a relief! :clap::clap::clap::clap:
So, did they do any extractions? of just cleaning?
Here, what my vets tell me, is to just give 1/4 to 1/2 of what they would normally eat for the rest of the day, in very tiny meals. So, feed tiny meals every couple of hours or so. Then resume to normal feeding next day..... if no extractions - if there were extractions, wet food only for a while - depends how severe - it can be up to a week. Since my cats eat raw only now, I don't have that issue anymore, as the food is soft (they still need to eat very little on the fist day due to nausea).

I am glad you guys are both in one piece :lol3: and happily together again :rub:

yuki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aww, thank you =)

No extractions, luckily! She's been awake for over eight hours now and is 90% back to normal. I think I can stop worrying now =) She's still slightly restless and wobbly but has mostly regained her normal attitude, even playing and purring during her combing session. She had been hiding under the bed for two hours and came out for another mouthful of food—ate it calmly this time, so I guess she doesn't feel like she's starving any more. No signs of nausea either.

Thanks for the tips!