Dell computer help...

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean but we're going to confuse the poop out of LR

I'm glad I got my HP for a Christmas present but I've ALWAYS wanted to build my own gaming computer
(sorry we got our, it's hubby's too but he only gets to touch it when I'm sleeping
). I'm super lucky though and my little bro is beyond your average computer nerd status and is constantly fixing my mess-ups on the computer!!

I love my vista because I haven't managed to kill it yet, (well maybe a few small miss-haps...) unlike XP which I killed on a regular basis

I'm more of a soft-ware kinda girl anyway
. Our computer is so customized I have to explain everything three times to hubby before he can figure out how to get something open if he does manage to pry me away from the keyboard

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nes

I'm more of a soft-ware kinda girl anyway
. Our computer is so customized I have to explain everything three times to hubby before he can figure out how to get something open if he does manage to pry me away from the keyboard
My DH is the same way... Maybe it's a guy thing? (the not listening part, I suspect)

I'm more of a hands on type person who likes to make things. I got tired of messing with Microsoft and fishy license agreements. I switched to linux - debian to be exact.
What little time I've had to deal with fixing Vista issues made me mad!

A good pc can be built for under $1k USD, though a gaming comp will put you closer to a couple thousand after shipping is said and done. One way to skip some steps and shipping costs, building any pc, is to get a "bare bones" type kit - processor, motherboard, and cpu already together.

We've went far off topic... Maybe people will learn a little, though? You can never learn to much about pcs.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Very true! I did computers for 3-4 years in highschool and still feel like I barely learned anything.

It's definitely a listening thing!!

My brother switched to linux, but he's going out of country shortly & I really need him at my beck & call since I have a bad habit of breaking things just to see what will happen

I might try it after he comes back. I have heard raves about it from him though! Apparently it's allot of fun, but sometimes he can't make basic microsoft programs work (even though he's got microsoft too? I don't understand it).

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nes

My brother switched to linux, but he's going out of country shortly & I really need him at my beck & call since I have a bad habit of breaking things just to see what will happen

I might try it after he comes back. I have heard raves about it from him though! Apparently it's allot of fun, but sometimes he can't make basic microsoft programs work (even though he's got microsoft too? I don't understand it).
Some programs are just written in such a way that they're too dependent on windows to really work under WINE. The good thing is that there's pretty much similar software that can replace most of it. As for native programs not working in windows... imagine that.

Why wait? Pick a distro, download it, burn it to a disc and just boot from the livedisc and play around. Everyone should try it out.
Ubuntu tends to be easy enough for most people to intuitively figure out the desktop in seconds. If you've used Windows for a long time you've probably already had to do a little in command line - while it can mostly be avoided in many linux distros, it's not a terrible experience... unless you're a poor typer and typo a lot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once the files came up, I didn't know what to do. I'm afraid I'll delete something. When I viewed 'more options' it said Window, Installed Programs and Restore. I know what restore is but never used it. I don't know exactly what to do, if I checkmark these items, I just don't know what will occur. I know I'm lame.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Uh, can you explain that again?

"Once the files came up?" what do you mean? In CCleaner? Or something else?