Delicious Potato recipes needed please!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey all,

We are going to an after Christmas turkey dinner pot luck dealy, and I have volunteered to bring the potato dish.

I was thinking a big casserole of yummy scalloped potatoes with onions, cheese and the works...

I need a recipe! Or any potato recipe that is easy, delicious and fairly inexpensive to make a large amount.

Thanks in advance!

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ooooh tricky one i only like potatos hot and i would of done boiled new potatos with a minty butter all over them

other wise id be googling a potato salad recipe as im just clueless

sorry im just no help

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Potato Casserole

1 bag frozen hash browns
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 diced onion
1 16 oz carton sour cream
1 8 oz pkg of shredded cheddar cheese
1 stick melted margarine

mix all together in spread in greased 13 X 9 pan

Topping

1/2 stick melted margarine
1 cup bread crumbs

mix together and sprinkle on top

Bake at 350 degree of 1 hour, 15 minutes

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cheese scalloped potatoes! Or even mushroom scallops! Yummm!!!

Very easy!

Peel and slice up potatoes....about 1/8 inch or thinner. Sorry I don't know the exact thickness because I use my food processor to slice them.

Peel and cut an onion in 1/2 crosswise, and slice thinly. Break up the 1/2 rings.

In a large casserole dish start layering.

bottom layer a dollop (maybe 2 tsps) of butter/margarine.

next a layer of potatoes
next a layer of onions

sprinkle with about 1 tbsp flour, sprinkle some salt and pepper. And add another dollop of butter.

Repeat with:

Potatoes
onions
flour
salt & pepper
butter.

Reap as many times as you need.

Finish with potatoes on the top layer.

Next open a can of either cheddar cheese soup or mushroom soup.

Mix the soup in a bowl, add equal parts of milk. Mix well. Pour over the potatoes. You'll have to use a knife to kind of move the potatoes from the edges to let the soup sink down into the potatoes.

Cover with a casserole lid or foil.

Place dish on a foil lined cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees until done. About 60 to 90 minutes depending on the oven and size of the dish. Check for done-ness by inserting a knife into the centre. If it feels soft, it's done.

They are sooooo good! Looks like a lot of work but it's not really. Just slicing potatoes and onions and then assembling.

If you use a food processor you can have everything sliced in a few minutes.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could also do a baked potato bar sort of thing. Bake a bunch of taters, provide lots of toppings, yums and easy to do!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trillcat's right -- I did a baked potato bar for a party once, and it was great fun! But the very best way to bake a potato, in my ever-so-humble opinion, is a little more trouble but ohhhh, so wonnnnderful:

- Peel several russets or Yukon golds, cut them in large chunks, and toss them with melted butter in a large flat baking dish. Add a little salt and pepper.

- Slather a piece of tinfoil with butter and place it upside down over the potatoes, sealing the edges.

- Bake at 425 F until the potatoes are done through (test with a paring knife). Then remove the tinfoil and reduce the heat to 350 F until the potatoes get golden brown.
So simple! I invented these when I had a batch of potatoes that were full of bad spots, so I couldn't just bake them whole. I don't know what makes them so good, but they have so much more flavor than ordinary baked potatoes. I just love 'em!

[P.S. -- to keep the butter on the tinfoil from dripping out the edges onto your oven, place the baking dish on a foil-lined cookie sheet.]

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did that recipie for the Hash Browns for our Christmas dinner. I think mine was Paula Deens recipie. It ireally is good, however, I found it even better the second day. I also used crushed potato chips on the top.

I'm getting hungry.......

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Omg you guys are awesome...sounds so yummy!! Im going to have my own potluck with only potato recipes LOL!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
You won't want to make this for your pot luck because of roasting them in your oven, but somebody might want to try this sometime. They're almost like a roasted potato chip, especially if you can slice them very thin.

From The 150 Best American Recipes

Roasted Potato Crisps with Fresh Herbs

Olive oil
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
4 russet potatoes, peeled and placed in a bowl of cold water
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Sprinkle the bottom of a jelly-roll pan or shallow roasting pan with oil and set aside.

Combine the herbs in a small bowl. Slice the potatoes as thinly as possible with a mandoline or Japanese vegetable slicer.

Arrange the potatoes on the pan in haphazard layers, sprinkling the layers with olive oil, herbs, and salt and pepper to taste.

Roast the potatoes for 20 minutes, then turn them with a spatula. The neat layers will break up, but that's fine. Roaste for 20-30 minutes more, turning several more times, until the potaotes are cooked through and crusty.

To remove the potatoes from the pan, lift them with the spatula - they will separate as you do so - and transfer to a serving platter or individual plates. Serve at once. Serves 4.

Here's a potato recipe that I use when we're having a big dinner at our house. I like it because I hate trying to mess around with making mashed potatoes at the last minute while trying to also do a bunch of other things. I make these the night before our dinner, throw them in the fridge, bring them to room temperature, then bake them right before dinner is served.

Adapted from One Potato, Two Potato

Party Potatoes

3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 -inch chunks
9 tablespoons unsalted butter
8 ounces low-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup low-fat sour cream, at room temperature
2/3 cup 2 percent milk, warmed
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Sweet paprika

Place the potatoes in a large saucepan with enough cold, salted water to cover them by at least an inch. Bring to a boil on high heat, then reduce to medium, partially cover and cook until the potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the pot. Set over medium heat for a minute or two, shaking or stirring so the potatoes don't stick, until they are floury and have made a film on the bottom of the pot.

Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Using a hand-held electric mixer on low speed, break up the pieces. Cut 6 tablespoons of the butter into 1/2-inch pieces and add to the potatoes, beating until the butter is absorbed. Add the cream cheese and sour cream, beating well after each addition. Add a little of the warmed milk at a time (it may not all be needed), beating until the potatoes are light and fluffy. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Spoon the potatoes into the dish and smooth the top. With a spatula or fork tines, swirl or score the surface of the potatoes to leave little peaks that will brown up during baking.

Sprinkle paprika to taste on top of the potatoes. Cut the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter into small pieces and scatter them over the surface. Bake until the potatoes are heated through and the top is lightly golden, about 30 minutes. Serve hot. 12 servings

Per serving: 196 calories, 6 g protein, 21 g carbohydrates, 8 g fat, 27 mg cholesterol, 6 g saturated fat, 147 mg sodium, 2 g dietary fiber

Note: I don't think you need all the cream cheese and/or sour cream. I think it was too much. And I didn't need all the milk. But they are good. I also sprinkled just a little reduced-fat grated Cheddar on top. Oh, and if you want, a light sprinkling of smoked paprika on top will look nice.