Delayed reaction to vaccine

styledbycats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
goose: female spayed cat, 4 years old, strictly indoor only

goose had an annual vet visit on 10/6. during this appointment she received her FVRCP & rabies (1 year) vaccines.

goose gets herself worked up quite easily & absolutely hates the car and the vet office. she is nervous around new people in general.

she was acting normal immediately after arriving home, but started feeling lethargic, nauseated, and refusing food a few hours later. this lasted for about 30 hours. we were expecting this type of thing to happen either from the vaccines or the stress of the vet visit in general.

note: my other two cats are having diarrhea issues. despite negative fecal tests, my vet prescribed all 3 of them panacur dewormer

10/10 - first dose of panacur 10/11 - second does of panacur 10/12 - wasn't feeling well, vomited in the evening. felt normal after

10/13- woke up feeling & acting the same way as when she returned from her week ago appointment (lethargic, refusing food, just overall not herself)

10/14- vet prescribed mirataz transdermal to stimulate her appetite, she reluctantly ate a little bit 10/15 & 10/16 reluctantly eating/drinking. still not herself, still nauseous

10/17 - extremely lethargic, very warm. took her to the hospital. her temperature was 104.9 upon arrival

for the next three days she required hospitalization

IV medication/fluid treatments.

as of right now, the vets diagnosis is "fever of unknown origin"

she is home. we are administering 100ml subQ fluid

we were sent home with pill versions of the IV medication she was getting at the hospital (cerenia & onsior)

we were also sent home with enrofloxacin

today her temperature was 100 in the early afternoon. a few hours after giving her fluid & cerenia, her temp was 103.2 she did eat today. i am beyond grateful to have her back home, but she is still not feeling herself.. please if anyone has any ideas of what is happening i would love to hear it. she's a tough girl, i just want to help her get through this

i am so glad i found this site. i am waiting for a call back from my vet to start prednisone asap

We are on day 15 post vaccine & day 8 of symptoms. Goose is mostly herself again after taking onsior, but unfortunately the fever comes back toward the evening. it breaks my heart to see her like this. i get so so so excited when she acts like herself. my vet is reluctant to prescribe prednisone for some reason. i just want her to be better :( when did everyone start treatment ?

for reference: goose was hospitalized for iv fluid/medication administration on day 4/5-7 of onset of symptoms

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I hope that sweet girl starts feeling better soon! I have had cats have reactions to vaccinations, but not for that long. I would not have any more meds at all given that were in the first bunch given. Especially the dewormer. If the cat is strictly indoors I would forgo the rabies vaccination too. I did in my cats. They last for years anyway. An injection of Prednisone is good, that, and an injection of long-lasting antibiotics has saved a lot of my cats. I would come right out and ask the vet why. Short term is not bad, I have had cats on it long term too with no problems. i think you are doing all you can right now, please keep us informed on how she is doing!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I assume they have taken blood? No clues there? Any discussion of an ultrasound? Sounds very mysterious, but as the parent, I'd keep looking. If only they could tell us...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

styledbycats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I assume they have taken blood? No clues there? Any discussion of an ultrasound? Sounds very mysterious, but as the parent, I'd keep looking. If only they could tell us...
Hi, yes bloodwork was drawn. All normal.
Doctor did a “quick ultrasound”. All normal no fluid build up.
I wish they could tell us too :(

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
S styledbycats , you could ask your vet if they do titer testing at least for the distemper combo. If they don't, you might have to seek out a vet that does if it's something that interests you.
Are you in the United States? If so, check the rabies law in your state. If your vet feels the rabies vaccine was what caused this, she might qualify for a medical exemption in the future if that's something your state allows. Rabies Laws by State