Delayed reaction to vaccine HELP!!!

Missy12784

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 10wk old kitten. I took him for his 1st round of vaccines Monday and by Tuesday he was showing the normal signs associated with getting a vaccine (sleepy, not eating, not his usual self). Thursday and Friday his appetite had diminished to eating just a few nibbles and walking away. Prior, he would run to his food bowl and scarf his food up. His food hasn’t changed at all. He also started vomiting liquid. It’s now Sunday and the vomiting has stopped, but he won’t touch his wet or dry food and so I’ve started giving him formula again. He’s barely interested in that too.
**So my question, is this a very delayed reaction to the vaccine? His energy is still the same playful kitten he’s always been. Just doesn’t care for food.
It’s also been extremely hot this week so wondering if heat is playing a part in him not eating. Other chubby cats are eating fine

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - you're handfeeding him so that he gets nutrition to make up for the loss? You might want to add some unflavored pedialyte as well. When they open tomorrow, you will want to call the vet clinic and tell them what happened.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Missy12784

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I’ll try pedialyte. I’m wondering if it could be constipation. He hasn’t has a bowel movement. But that could also be because he hasn’t eaten

Missy12784

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - you're handfeeding him so that he gets nutrition to make up for the loss? You might want to add some unflavored pedialyte as well. When they open tomorrow, you will want to call the vet clinic and tell them what happened.
Yes, I’m giving him kitten formula from a bottle to get him some nutrition. He had half a bottle this morning

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's impossible to know what the cause is. Could be delayed vaccine reaction, could be the heat, could be constipation, could be something else entirely. Have you tried feeding him something entirely new to him? Maybe a different canned food? Don't worry if it isn't just for kittens since all you want to know is if you can stimulate his appetite. And it is perfectly fine to feed kittens an "all stages" food.

One good sign is that he's still got energy!

Missy12784

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's impossible to know what the cause is. Could be delayed vaccine reaction, could be the heat, could be constipation, could be something else entirely. Have you tried feeding him something entirely new to him? Maybe a different canned food? Don't worry if it isn't just for kittens since all you want to know is if you can stimulate his appetite. And it is perfectly fine to feed kittens an "all stages" food.

One good sign is that he's still got energy!
I’ve been buying him several different brands of canned food in different forms and flavors. He seems to be more interested in what the other senior cats are eating. And he did eat the canned food they were having. So he does have an appetite. Hopefully everything is fine and he just wants what the big kids are eating

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’ve been buying him several different brands of canned food in different forms and flavors. He seems to be more interested in what the other senior cats are eating. And he did eat the canned food they were having. So he does have an appetite. Hopefully everything is fine and he just wants what the big kids are eating
Typical :rolleyes2: Just like kids, they want what the others have :lol:

sschroud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I run a cat rescue. We have recently had over 30 cats and kittens develop the same symptoms after receiving the FVRCP vaccine. We have been racking our brains to figure out what is going on and why its happening. We are afraid to give the vaccines and we know how important they are. Our cats and kittens developed high fevers, lethargy, limping (look up limping Calici), anorexia, diarrhea and vomiting. Some developed symptoms 1-2 days after and most were delayed about 2 weeks. We thankfully are able to administer SQ fluids and other medications. We have come close to losing some. Adoptions have been delayed and some have been returned.

If you have not I would highly suggest getting the Vaccine (manufacturer, lot # etc) information from your vet and report the symptoms to the manufacturer of the vaccines. This is the only way they will know that its happening and can track it. We are doing a lot of investigating and trying to figure out why this is happening so often.