Dehydrated treats

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey there,

I picked up some dehydrated treats today from a small independent shop, that specializes in Canadian sourced raw foods  / dehydrated treats.

I picked up some chicken breast, bison liver and duck wings.  

The duck wings were in the dog section; would they be ok for a cat to munch on?

They also had rabbit ears and various other dehydrated organs.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As far as I am aware, dehydrated treats for dogs should be ok for cats as long as it is pure protein with no additives.  You just may need to break them apart as they tend to be much larger than the cat treats.  

EDIT: My cats really like the lamb lung that Orijen has out.  But again, very hard and big so I crack them apart.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback, yes I saw the lamb lung on the shelf as well. I'll give that a go sometime.

They also had quail but was pretty darn expensive.

Those raw dehyd. duck wings are hard to crack.  Scissors wouldn't do it, I had to get some pliers lol.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, as long as it is 100% lung/chicken/goose--no additives, no supplements, no vegetables--it is fine to feed a cat dehydrated foods made for dogs.  The pieces will probably need to be broken.

Duck wings, as an occasional treat, would be okay.  My concern is the added calcium--too much bone/calcium can made a cat constipated.  So if you notice your cat's poop is very hard, back off the wings.

Similarly, too much kidney can cause soft stools.

Ritz loves fresh chicken lungs, I'll have to look for the freeze dried variety.  (I fed raw).-

You might want to write a review on the products--look at the review page. Best one wins a prize.   (Sorry, computer won't let me link.)

PS:  that is one very lucky, loved cat.  Ritz would love what you bought. 

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love those pure meat treats and have tried quite a few. They're targeted to dogs, but I've given some to my cats too. I figure as they're pure meat/animal parts, they're actually better for a treat than something filled with additives. Only one of my cats went for them though. He loved the rabbit ears! The duck and the chicken feet were too hard for him to chew, but my friend's dog was more than happy to eat what he couldn't. :)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats don't like the dehydrated treats! They LOVE freeze dried treats. I think the difference is the texture. Dehydrated tends to be hard and/or chewy. Freeze dried is easy to eat, and crunches right up.