Deer laying in the birdseed this morning!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Last week at night Deb was going to choir practice and there was a deer in our backyard, we have homes all around us but we do see deer from time to time but not in our fenced in backyard! I said it probably comes and eats the birdseed, and it had snowed and was cold and it must've found that to eat. It went to the one side of our garage and hopped the 3' chain link fence and was gone, but this morning when I woke up and Deb heard me up there she came up and opened the door, and I thought she was either going to ask me if I wanted breakfast like we talked about last night and wanted to try to give our old "Lion King" Simba some scrambled eggs :) but she said "well it never ends" and I thought there was something wrong with him or one of the cats but she told me this deer is just laying in the birdseed! I called a woman that has many times helped us with animal/wildlife rescue and she said to open the gate and it might take hours for her to leave! I was going to walk all the way around the block so it wouldn't see me, but it wouldn't see the gate either as it was blocked by the garage, so I quietly went down the neighbors driveway on the other side, she alertly saw me, I was sometimes hidden because of a hedge, opened the gate and when I walked back up she was gone, so I quickly went back down to the alley to see and there she was, she had jumped the fence in the area on the other side of the garage just like last week, it slopes down a bit there but she obviously can handle it, looked back at me and then calmy jogged away, so thankfully she isn't hurt and was just resting there, so she feels safe here plus there is birdseed lol! We don't care but the birds and squirrels sure were squawking about it lol! We just were worried that she might be hurt, but it doesn't appear so.

I'm sure this is a common thing for many of you in the rural area, but to us it is a bit unusual, but cool!! Just so she doesn't get hurt hoping the fence there, she probably hops it on the other side where I walked down to come in as it is more level there.

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I lived at my previous home we had a doe that would bring her little one up by the house to stay in my flowerbed while she fed in the field next door, then when she was finished she would come collect her little one. No idea why she felt that up against a house was the safest place but she did it for 3-4 years in a row with her babies. Now where I live the deer are much more hesitant about people but we get frequent visitors through the yard to drink a bit of water out of the lake or to happily munch on the plants in the gardens. And Deer do love the birdseed.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a special sight les26 les26 to see right in your own back yard!
I think deer are really cool animals. They seem so peaceful but can really be aggressive if their babies are in danger.
I saw this little one a few weeks ago, crossing the road after the others. He stopped to take a look around before continuing on.
1706402860751.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
We were shocked to see it and since it was laying down we were concerned that it was injured, but it must've just been resting and thought this place was pretty cool with the food! I said she'll probably alter her time when she visits and rests here to maybe earlier in the morning when it is still dark out as to not be seen by anyone, and we are fine with that! Deb said "it's our new pet" :lol:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We were shocked to see it and since it was laying down we were concerned that it was injured, but it must've just been resting and thought this place was pretty cool with the food! I said she'll probably alter her time when she visits and rests here to maybe earlier in the morning when it is still dark out as to not be seen by anyone, and we are fine with that! Deb said "it's our new pet" :lol:
I've named so many deer I've seen just because. I saw one WAY off in the field, and he or she watched me walk to the fence line, snap a few grainy pictures, and then walk back to the house. I named that one "Grainy" because none of the photos came out clear. :lol:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I was just going to go out and put some bird seed and suet out and I thought that I better flip on the spotlight and I'm glad that I did, the deer is laying next to the garage! So she is coming back in the dark like I thought she might, so that there is less chance of anyone being out there!

Unbelievable....

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well I was just going to go out and put some bird seed and suet out and I thought that I better flip on the spotlight and I'm glad that I did, the deer is laying next to the garage! So she is coming back in the dark like I thought she might, so that there is less chance of anyone being out there!

Unbelievable....
Maybe you've been "chosen"!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you've been "chosen"!
I think you are right! Now she is laying on top of the bird seed, right on top of it! I'm sure the rabbits that come out at night to eat aren't happy about this new arrangement!

And Deb wonders why it is alone, she wonders why it isn't hanging out with other deer? I have no idea, maybe it does in the daytime, maybe it found a good eating and resting place and wants it all for herself?!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now this morning Deb was looking out the upstairs window and saw a red fox a few homes down!
If you take your cats outside, be careful. Fox are really cool but depending on how bold they're feeling they can be very quick.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to work at the visitor's center of a local state park. It had a wall-to-wall picture window facing the back yard where there were several bird feeders and squirrel feeders set up. The glass was half-mirrored so that you could see out but not see in quite so well.

Families of moms, dads and children would go there to watch the birds and other critters come to the feeders. There were checklists so people could "keep score" of all the birds and animals they saw.

One evening, just before dark, I went back there and saw a huge, 8-point buck with its front feet up on the feeder platform, just chowing down on the birdseed. I ran and got one of the Environmental Educators to show her and she said, "THAT's what's been happening to all my birdseed! I thought the raccoons were getting it!"

In the winter, it starts getting dark around here at around 4:30. Right between 4:00 and 5:00 every day, that deer would come up to the feeders for dinner. You could almost set your watch by it! ;)

Eventually, they did get food for the deer so it could have its own dinner instead of just bird seed.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, this guy was close—right outside the fence. I hope he was polite enough to eat the weeds and not the native wildflower sprouts. :lol:

IMG_3368.jpeg
IMG_3370.jpeg

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
We haven't seen our friend for awhile now, maybe she comes here at night or has moved on we don't know? One day Deb told me that she heard what sounded like two loud shots and of course her mind went to a bad place, thinking she was hit on the road and had to be put down, so I went to the police department and asked about it but they had no reports of any deer hit on our street. Could've been a car backfiring, I don't think anyone would be stupid and cruel enough to shoot a deer in their yard, I hope not!