Declawing

rachey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yeah my cats have got one of those toys and they love it!! They go mental for it!

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by angelkitty

I unfortunately bought a carpet scratching pole which she doesn't use,,I've basically tried to rub catnip in it,, but she doesn't even look twice at it,,
A friend of mine was given a cat tree (carpet only) for Christmas and knowing what I told her she knew the cats would not use it very well with it being carpet. She ended up going to Home Depot and getting sisal rope and wrapping the tree herself, right over the carpet using a staple gun. The cats love it! Its a quick fix and sisal is very cheap.

Also the post should be tall enough that they can stretch their body. If its not to tall they won't take interest.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

rosiemac posted a link to some sites about declawing on the 1st page. Ask your husband to read those. Quite often people want to declaw their cat because it's the custom where they live and they've never really thought about what they're doing. Sometimes reading the harsh facts about declawing can change their mind. If he laughs it off try telling him it's important to you that he understands what declawing is about and why you dont want to do it - if he doesn't want to read them for the cat, maybe he'll do it for you. Here's another link about why cats need claws.

http://www.theanimalspirit.com/declaw.html
My husband will not read them I am sure. It is difficult to change someone's mind (especially a man's) when their mind is made up.

My tactic is to prove to him that I can manage our kitty's nails. I trim them every week and provide a scratching surface for him. The trimming helps a lot -- if he does scratch the couch you cannot even tell he did it (it helps that our couches have a nubby material on them). My only two concerns are our screens (we have 30+ windows in our house) and my husband's $2,000 leather recliner. Every night I throw a blanket over the recliner; I have to make sure it doesn't hang down to the floor though because it actually attracts the cat as a hiding place. All of our other furniture is old (7+ years) and not as big of a deal. It really pains me to think I'd have declaw the cat because of that stupid leather chair.

I am going to bring it up in a month or so and say "so far the cat hasn't damaged anything -- can you live with it not being declawed?"

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
here's another testimonial for the Turbo scratcher, all my babies love it! sometimes Zeus will sit in the middle while Demeter plays with the ball and watch it go around
they all scratch on it though, even my 10 week old kittens