Declawing

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a little update, my babies are doing better.  I had to get different antibiotics for my cat with the swollen paw.  Thank you everyone for all of your support!  An answer to a previous question, both of my cats are neutered.  I did separate them, and I just didn't want to keep them locked up in different parts of the house all the time.  It is not like they hate each other, it is just that my younger cat got too rough with his playing, like he didn't know what was too much.  I hope that they do not have a biting issue... :( I just want my babies to be okay.  I love my little ones so much!  I just hope that anyone reading this will NOT declaw.  I fully regret it, and for anyone considering it, please do not do it.  I will never let anyone, including the vet talk me into anything again, EVER.  My kitties prefer actually shredded paper right now, as the pellets hurt their feet, it seems, so I will just keep shredding paper until they recover.  Everyone on here has been so welcoming and supportive, I am so very glad that I found this site.  It is nice to have people to talk to that understand and help.  Once again, thank you all!
theres a kittys litter called yesterdays paws<i think its called that its for declawed cats it wont hurt there feet as bad as the other kitty litters and i heard pellets are the worst 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad your cats are doing better.  I feel your emotional pain.

For pain (chronic or otherwise) and serenity, you might try acupuncture for your cats.  Ask your vet for a referral or if he acts dumbfounded by such a question, google.  Some vets also have certificates in acupuncture/chiropractor/Chinese medicine, etc.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really appreciate you telling your story with such honesty. I, for one, am going to make a note of this thread to share with users who come here looking for advice on whether to declaw or not. Hopefully your experience will help deter others!  

I'm so glad to hear they are doing better! Just keep taking as good of care of them as you have been and hopefully they will make a full recovery with no lingering behavioral issues!

I agree with another poster that you need to not beat yourself up for this. As they pointed out you did this with the best of intentions. It's so obvious how much you love them and that you only wanted what was best for them. You can't change what has happened and you are doing everything you can to make sure they heal and are comfortable. Your cats know how much you love them and I'm sure they have forgiven you because you take such good care of them. Make sure you forgive yourself too.  

Oh, and I agree that trying acupuncture is a really good idea. Also Google to see if there is a holistic vet in your area. They often have ideas that traditional vets don't think of. 

Vibes for a continued recovery for your boys and for you! 

jaredweldy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok I know I'm new to the site, but I was browsing the web and found this post as I was trying to show my roommate why not to declaw. My uncle is a very well known vet in LA and San Diego and actually handles both zoos as well as his own clinic and hospital. So I know a lot about animals and how to handle them and train them from him. I'm 30 and have had cats my entire life and love them quite a lot. About declawing, I feel bad for your kitties and you for your poor vetrinarian advice. He is a horrible vet and you should put that vet all over the web for his advice as there are better options for stopping them, said above. Also I didn't read advice about splitting them, but not forever... how you handle this withou splitting them forever, is to first put up a large object seperating them from each other from sight and touch. Let them talk and smell each other for a few days. Then after being ok with that, let them see each other for a little while each day. Then after a while allow them to mingle for only a short time with you there. Then finally allow them free reign with each other. This also helps cats who fight when you introduce a new cat. The issue is now with being declawed they will now fight and bite each other to actually hurt themselves. So your vet made it worse now, because claws were a playful yet painful way for them to get along. Now they will get skittish that they're defenseless and will bite harder instead of playing because they feel threatened. So introduce them together well so you don't have issues in the future. Also I'm glad you learned this, as most people who declaw cats feel doing it doesn't effect the cats when it really does. Good luck with your cats, and by the way to everyone with clawing issues an easy and cheap way to stop them scratching is to put the clear packing tape on the things they scratch and shouldn't. They won't scratch it anymore as the tape doesn't feel good on their claws. Then after a couple months, remove it and they should be trained not to scratch that object anymore. It works and it is a cheap way to stop them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myfurrbabies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thank you for your response.  Right now, both kitties are doing better, lying right on either side of me on the couch.  Right now their bellies are full of their favorite food and I have just brushed and petted them both until they fell asleep.  I love these little ones, I take care of them as well as I do my two human children. ( Their food is probably better, because it is grain free and holistic). ;). Everyone laughs at me for giving my cats bottled water with a dental additive to protect their teeth.  Like I said, I do truly love my kitties with all my heart, and I am glad they are feeling better for now.  I have prayed many nights for their recovery, while apologizing for my ignorance. If you are considering declaw, please look for grooming places nearby that will apply soft paws properly, or recommend other advice. I couldn't find anyone in my area, that will even deal with cats! I called around to have my cats bathed and clipped, pampered, etc, and no one where I live will deal with cats! Not that I didn't clip my cat's nails, etc, but I was willing to pay someone to give them EVERYTHING up to dental cleansing and all, and everyone I talked to on the phone was HATEFUL!( I brush my cats, cleanse them properly, etc).  Everyone I called will not deal with cats.  I find that this is a HUGE problem where I live, there are so many places available for dogs, but nothing available for cats.  People keep dogs out here for hunting, and so there is a wider variety of options for dogs.  There is hardly anything for cats.  I tried applying the Soft paws, and my cats chewed them off... Petsmart offers grooming for dogs in my area, but not cats.  I called them and asked them to apply the Soft Paws, and they told me NO.  They will not groom nor deal with cats; they told me to find a groomer in my area. ( They will not deal with cats).  I am kind of upset that they sell many cat products, as well as have cats for adoption, but they will not provide services for them?  This would be something that I would like to see happen.  I believe that if there were more places readily available to help cats as well as  dogs, we would not have as many problems.  Maybe it is just where I live, but it breaks my heart... I am not trying to justify what I did, I just wish that I had some resources.  I can honestly say without a doubt, that I did try everything first; that is why I waited until my cats were 14 and 11 months old before I did it, I really did not want to.  But, I guess I am selfish, I could not choose between my cats and let one go.  My oldest cat is mine and my son's, and my youngest cats is my daughter's; she bought him with her own birthday money.  My daughter always donates her report card money earned to helping homeless animals.  We love them both so much!  You could call either one of them today, and they have plans to open a No Kill Shelter for cats when they finish college.  I am currently enrolled to go back to college to graduate with my RN, but I would rather help animals, mainly cats: (my passion).  Animals truly love you and appreciate your help.  I do not know where to start, or how to get my foot in.  I have experience as a Surgical Tech, as this applies to humans, no one else sees it as worthy.  The town I live in is very small, and they do not hire a lot of people.  Mainly people in the town they have grown up with.  If anyone can help, please!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad your kitties are feeling better.

Have you looked into pet sitters for helping you take care of your cats?  Some are former vet techs.  And while they certainly can't do everything a vet can, they can groom, etc. the cats.  Also, check to see if there are any (legitimate) breeder of cats in your area.  They would be a good resource for vets.

Good luck.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad your kitties are feeling better.
Have you looked into pet sitters for helping you take care of your cats?  Some are former vet techs.  And while they certainly can't do everything a vet can, they can groom, etc. the cats.  Also, check to see if there are any (legitimate) breeder of cats in your area.  They would be a good resource for vets.
Good luck.
^This :nod: