Declawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, I'm another one who clips due to kneading. 

Mind you, the little boy, who isn't a kneader, is going to experience what clipping is all about soon.  He has taken to leaping onto my back from the floor when I'm working on the computer, and it really, really hurts!  His little claws are so sharp and go so deep I have to gently ease them out or there's major damage.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I appreciate all the information i have recieved, but when i was told TWICE now that i need to choose between one or the other. that has realy upset me to no end and as I said, I will be finding another forum to attend to to get information from. I understand you all are against declawing. I was simply just asking. I didn't need to be told to choose between one or the other. :)
OK, I've gone back and re-read your initial post.  You asked for ideas.  It seems like we gave you a number of options.

1)   Keep the claws trimmed.

2)   Use Soft-Paws.

3)   Put up with the claws.

4)   Get out of the situation.

What answer did you really want?  What question were you really asking, that you think no one answered?  There is no such thing as a naturally clawless cat, so it seems like you have been given all the possible options.  I doubt there is any other cat forum out there that will tell you anything you haven't heard here, and some may do it in a much more pointed fashion.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcdanielnc89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was one of the people that suggested that I'd get rid of the b/f if he was insisting.  It was partly in jest, but actually I think it highlights a real problem in the relationship.  It strikes me that he is putting what he wants ahead of what you want, and what's best for your cats.  I don't think there's a happy solution.

#1 you get the cats declawed and feel guilty the rest of their lives and some

#2 you rehome the cats and miss them like mad, what happens then if the b/f leaves?

#3 you say goodbye to the b/f and miss him

Personally I hope if I was in your situation I would be able to discuss it in a mature way with the b/f but be clear that my position on no declawing is immovable.  Thankfully I will never be in that situation since I live in the UK and routine declawing is illegal.  Thankfully I'm also financially secure in my own right, I have no need of a man to keep me.  I have a friend who isn't in that situation, she's kept in great style but it's a very insecure situation.
I talk to my boyfriend about it all the time because he knows that I am not the person that naturally wants to get a cat declawed. i've had cats every since I was a little boy and never have I had a cat that was declawed. However, my boyfriend and I are very "high maintenance" when it comes to how we live, what we buy, etc. We live in an apartment and will continue living in apartments for the next 5-6 years before we actually look into buying our own home. Where we are looking to move due to our schooling and job opportunities, most of the rentals we have found require for the front claws of cats to be declawed; no exceptions. We are also having to look into that because we do not and we actually refuse to live in a crappy place of which is not up to the standards we live in but do not have requirements for declawing. The more rentals we look at that don't require declawing of cats are something that we just would not live in and it isn't because we are too good to live in them, it's just we aren't and never have lived in something of that sort. So, whether or not I actually want them done or not is not really an option because of the lease agreements in the town that we are migrating to for our schooling.
I'm sorry you were offended by some peoples comments. I think this is a great site. The only fault is that we are all very protective & loving, that's all.  They just wanted to make sure you were well informed to make the best decision. 
I'm sorry too because I actually had been browsing this site for months before I did join and never seen anything like replies I had received about this topic. I understand they want to make sure I was being well informed and I have been well informed and was before I asked the question, but due to the situations i think it was rude of some of the comments is all.

OK, I've gone back and re-read your initial post.  You asked for ideas.  It seems like we gave you a number of options.

1)   Keep the claws trimmed.

2)   Use Soft-Paws.

3)   Put up with the claws.

4)   Get out of the situation.

What answer did you really want?  What question were you really asking, that you think no one answered?  There is no such thing as a naturally clawless cat, so it seems like you have been given all the possible options.  I doubt there is any other cat forum out there that will tell you anything you haven't heard here, and some may do it in a much more pointed fashion.
The answer I wanted? I didn't want an answer... I wanted informed more than what I was. instead some were just very upsetting relies that had nothing of relevance to my question. I know there is no such thing as a naturally clawless cat.

As far as this topic is concerned, I do apologize a lot of you do not agree with getting cats declawed. I'm not the person that is against getting them declawed, but if it could be avoided, it would. Just the living situations that we will be in the next 5-6 years is more of the determining factor because of the living arrangements in the city we have to move to.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are options regarding rentals. It just takes some time and effort to make those options work. Personally, I don't think anybody who cares about cats should tolerate that from a landlord. . .even if they have cats who are alreade de-clawed or even if they don't have cats, I still think they should make a fuss just on principle, because if enough people made a fuss they'd have to change their policies. But I realize that not everybody is up for a scrap like I am :D.

If you do go through with it, I sincerely hope your cats do not have lasting mental or physical harm from it, and do not develop litterbox avoidance from the paw pain. I imagine that would not work out in the best interests of the cats, either with the landlords or with your taste in furniture. Insist on as many pain relievers as they'll give you. Poor kitties :(.

mcdanielnc89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, there are not options. The place that owns all of these rentals have it set it stone. I've already looked it al up and went to see about what it would take to change it. It has to go through the court system and we all know how long that takes. We move in less than 8 months. it will take anywhere from 12-16 months and then you have to get the petitions going before that and have enough. others have tried doing it. It's the USA. they aren't going to do what they don't want to do. nothing i can or anyone else can do about it. it may be cruel in a lot of peoples opinions, but there's absolutely nothing we can do. you said it takes time to find the right place... well, we've been looking for plaes to rent without requirements for over a year. NO ONE of them that we've seen thus far nothing has shown up. :( We have to abide by the rules.

So i hope that none of you think we're just doing this to get them declawed. nor do i hope you think we've made the wrong decision because the decision is obviously being made for us and we cant change it.

Last edited:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
In reference to landlords and apartment managers requiring cats to be declawed via contracts... HOW would they find out if the cats are declawed or not? It's not that easy unless they come in to observe for hours or press the paws themselves? Or do they require written proof from the vet?

I honestly do not know what my pet policies are here with the new management and I am not going to ask! I don't want to be charged extra ( at least until I caught but I doubt they can do anything since they were here before new owners)

mcdanielnc89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They all require a vet signature saying they are declawed.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many people have had success with giving the landlord a note from the vet saying that Soft Claws have been applied. Maybe they don't know the difference between Soft Claws and de-clawing, maybe they just need a vet's note and don't care what it says, whatever. Something else that has worked is finding a vet who will sign a note saying that it's not medically advisable for the cat to undergo surgery.

I have also heard that apartments that accept government Housing (HUD) money for low-income residents cannot require de-clawing (though many will try until challenged!). I don't know if that only applies to the HUD residents or to everybody, but maybe that's an angle you can explore.

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Where abouts in Missouri are you? Maybe one of these websites would help:

http://www.peoplewithpets.com/aptcity.asp?state=MO&lat=37.9642529&long=-91.8318334&sttname=Missouri

http://www.metroanimal.org/rental/main.shtml

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/animal_friendly_apartments.html

http://www.move.com/apartmentsforrent-search/missouri/?source=web

You might also be able to make a deal with a landlord where you put more money down as a damage deposit in lieu of declawing. 

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mcdanielnc89, please please please read these links as well:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/declawing/declawing-cats-required-to-rent/

http://www.pawsneedclaws.com/Landlords_Declaw.php

http://www.save-our-paws.org/life-after-declawing.php

And, from: http://ezinearticles.com/?Tenants-Rights-and-Pets---The-Landlord-Vs-Your-Cat&id=1920561

Don't capitulate, negotiate

If local laws will not protect you and your pets, then the next step is not to give up and give in, but to negotiate and educate your landlords.

Most landlords that do not allow pets or that require cats to be declawed have these policies because they are worried about property damage. Noise, allergies and messes in communal areas such as the lobby or front law may also be a factor.

As a responsible pet owner it is worth your while to try to educate your landlord about why these policies are misguided and unnecessary. If you can provide reasonable alternatives so that your landlord can feel that their interests are sufficiently covered you may be able to convince them to change their rental policies.
  1. Acknowledge their concerns.  Be polite and reasonable and let them know that you understand their concerns and respect their desire to maintain a clean, undamaged building.
  2. Explain normal cat behaviour.  The people creating policy may be completely unfamiliar with cat behaviour. Explain that cats can easily be trained to use a scratching post instead of the carpet, and that cats instinctively prefer to bury their waste in clean litter rather than depositing it just anywhere. Explain that cats do not typically scratch at walls, doors and trim, and that even an untrained cat is more likely to scratch the tenant's furniture than destroy the unit itself. Let them know that you will provide a clean litter box and appropriate surfaces for your cat to scratch.
  3. Let them know that your cats are spayed/neutered.  Explain spaying/neutering eliminates the undesirable cat behaviours that they may be concerned about, such as yowling, territory marking with urine & feces, fighting, and attracting stray cats to the area. Let them know that these behaviours are typical of intact animals and that yours have been fixed.
  4. Assure them that  your cat will be in a carrier or on a leash any time they are in a public area.  Animals running at large can be dangerous and a nuisance. Reassure them that your cat will be kept under control at all times.
  5. Explain what declawing is and that it often results in other undesirable behaviour.  Many people do not understand what declawing is and have no idea that it may result in other even more undesirable behaviour, like peeing outside the litterbox. Make it clear that declawing is unnecessary and cruel and that if they are concerned about the cat scratching there are alternatives, such as Softpaws [http://www.softpaws.com/], which you would be willing to use.
  6. Provide documentation to support your claims.  Provide supporting evidence from reputable sources to back up what you are saying. Best Friends Network provides many good resources for tenants who are required to declaw: http://network.bestfriends.org/celebrateclawsnotdeclaw/news/16849.html. If your landlord requires declawing, talk to your vet - they may be able to provide a document or letter supporting your stance against declawing.
  7. Offer to pay an additional security deposit.  Assure them that while your cat is trained and you do not expect your cat to destroy anything, should something in the unit be damaged by the cat, you will take responsibility for repairing or replacing it. Show that you are serious about this by offering to pay a larger security deposit.
  8. Remind them that a responsible tenant is a responsible tenant, and likewise an irresponsible tenant will cause problems even without pets.  Their rental agreement should already cover troublesome tenants, such as ones that cause excess noise, disruption or property damage.
  9. Offer to provide recommendations on drafting a rental policy that allows pets but protects their building and other tenants.  If you can do some of the leg work for them, saving them time and effort, they may be more willing to make changes.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1920561

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering what city you are moving to that requires in the leases of all the decent apartments that cats must be declawed. What do they require regarding dogs' nails? They can be at least, if not more, destructive than cats' claws. I lived in Chicago in nice apartments with cats, for many years. I had to pay an extra security deposit fee, but that's it. Never heard of a lease demanding declawing. And never had a cat do any damage at the apartments, so always got the fee refunded when moving out.

Robin

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think this thread has gone far enough.  I'm going to lock it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.