Declawing

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
on jan 4th 2010 we went to a farm to get a dog i asked the lady do you have a cat i can have she handed me a gray n white short haired intersexed cat named marla she named him/her that so i bring marla home a week later when marla went to attack my other cat Mewlittle i noticed mewlittle was doing damage to marla but marla wasnt doing damage back then marla started to bit her i stopped the fight i noticed marla didnt have nails so i looked he/she been declawed i wasnt happy about it, marla hated his/her feet touched used biting as a self defense never used the cat box i didnt know why tell recently its because the litter causes pain in the paws i will never declaw a cat its cruel

both mewlittle ??/??/09-07/06/13 and marla ??/??/08-01/15/12 has passed on i dont have them anymore

snoops27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibasgirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've heard nothing but bad about this, and for awhile now I've been wondering if all of that negativity is really true or not. To be honest, I'm an inexperienced cat owner with plenty of research to back me up. During my research, I found many articles about Declawing, all which came done quite harsh on the subject.

Before I make the choice to either declaw or not, I'd like to know the truth. Originally, since my kitten is indoors, I was planning on declawing, until I came across some articles. I've heard everything bad about it, and my question is: Declawing: Good, or Bad?

I know im late to the thread and everyone has replied. Declawing is bad. Alot of people assume it is just removing the claw by itself, but they amputate to the first knuckle. All ten (or more of your a poly). I have seen pictures of this procedure, it is quite disturbing and unecessary. If i found a kitty who was declawed i would still adopt, but i would NEVER let anyone do that.

Learn to trim their nails. Use soft paws. If they have an enclosure make sure htye have wood/logs to scratch on.
Please don't declaw your cat. People will tell you it can be done with NO negative side effects. Would you feel no negative show effects if someone cut all your fingers of at the first knuckle? Declawing is a purely selfish action with NO benefits for your cat. If your really feel a few scratches outweigh your cats ability to be NORMAL, buy yourself a teddy bear. Thank goodness is

snoops27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please don't declaw your cat. People will tell you it can be done with NO negative side effects. Would you feel no negative side effects if someone cut all your fingers off at the first knuckle? Declawing is a purely selfish action with NO benefits for your cat. If your really feel a few scratches outweigh your cats ability to be NORMAL, buy yourself a teddy bear. Thank goodness it is illegal here in the UK.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibasgirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've heard nothing but bad about this, and for awhile now I've been wondering if all of that negativity is really true or not. To be honest, I'm an inexperienced cat owner with plenty of research to back me up. During my research, I found many articles about Declawing, all which came done quite harsh on the subject.

Before I make the choice to either declaw or not, I'd like to know the truth. Originally, since my kitten is indoors, I was planning on declawing, until I came across some articles. I've heard everything bad about it, and my question is: Declawing: Good, or Bad?

I know im late to the thread and everyone has replied. Declawing is bad. Alot of people assume it is just removing the claw by itself, but they amputate to the first knuckle. All ten (or more of your a poly). I have seen pictures of this procedure, it is quite disturbing and unecessary. If i found a kitty who was declawed i would still adopt, but i would NEVER let anyone do that.

Learn to trim their nails. Use soft paws. If they have an enclosure make sure htye have wood/logs to scratch on.
Please don't declaw your cat. People will tell you it can be done with NO negative side effects. Would you feel no negative show effects if someone cut all your fingers of at the first knuckle? Declawing is a purely selfish action with NO benefits for your cat. If your really feel a few scratches outweigh your cats ability to be NORMAL, buy yourself a teddy bear. Thank goodness is
Snoops27, hello and welcome to TCS. If you spend some time on the site you will realize that TCS is an anti-declaw site and the vast majority of our members agree with you on the issue. I'm sure you didn't notice that this thread is over 6 years old and after the first few replies the OP decided not to have her cat declawed.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm a new kitty mommy too. I faced the same dilemma you did. 

Deciding whether or not to declaw my new cat (this was before i adopted my cat). I was more concerned about my furniture and my drapes than having a cat, and I feel that's the first issue. You're bringing an ANIMAL in your own, and attempting to make him/her a member of your family. sometimes your furniture or drapes might suffer because of it, but that's not the cat's fault. This is their instinct. They can't help it. Their behavior can only be modified to your liking through proper training, and not mutilation. 

I came across many articles and posts about how declawing a cat will result in negative effects, behavioral issues, and what actually goes into the process of declawing a cat. After adopting Charlie, i did not declaw. And guess what, my drapes are fine. My furniture lives, and I myself have not been shredded to pieces. 

I bought charlie a scratching post, which i will admit you have to kind of teach them to use. Like if i was over petting charlie, or he got too excited, he would scratch or bite. whenever he did that, i just took him and put him on the scratching post. and he learned quick what the scratching post was for. Now he takes his aggression/excitement out on the scratching post and not on my arms. I also trim and file his claws. He's a bit squeamish if i do it while he's awake, but if i do it while he's sleeping (like DEAD ASLEEP) he doesn't notice a thing. 

I haven't tried soft paws, but based on the replies to this post i will give it a try.

IMO: declawing cats: huge NO NO.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Lamiatron! Welcome to TCS!

If you spend some time on the site you will realize that TCS is an anti-declaw site and the vast majority of our members agree with you on the issue. I'm sure you didn't notice that this thread is over 6 years old and after the first few replies the OP decided not to have her cat declawed.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
WOW! no i really didn't realize this post was that old!

i'm just browsing forums and figuring stuff out!

i'm still learning how to work the site. This site has been very helpful for me, in deciding on adopting my first cat Charlie (1 month ago) and then my second can Jet (few days ago)

i had a bit of a dilemma of my own which is what prompted me to make an account to post about my issues; and i have gotten some great advice.

for a first time cat owner, this site and its users have been amazing to me =)

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad to hear it! Feel free to create your own threads if you have further questions,, no matter how silly they seem!