DECLAWING.....how some Vets are discouraging it

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

That's why I ended my post with:

I totally agree. I wish it were illegal to declaw a cat. It should be considered cruelty to animals!
I know, I did read to the end
I wasn't disagreeing with you, just keen to reiterate my point as I feel it's one that doesn't come up here very often as you are all battling against declawing on all fronts. I have the greatest respect for every and any effort made whether it's aiming to get legislation banning it or the education of individuals.

But I don't know whether many people know that there is no specific UK legislation outlawing declawing. There is an EU legislation, but the UK does not adopt EU legislation wholesale. We have come to the position by a bit of a circuitous route whereby:

a) it is illegal to practice surgery on an animal without a licence as per government legislation
b) the RCVS (which is independent of Government) rules that vets must not perform surgery that is not clinically necessary and will lose their licence to practice surgery if they perform a declaw for non clinical reasons or other cosmetic surgery on an animal
c) it takes a long time to become a vet and get a licence, and no-one is going to ruin their career by performing surgery that will get them struck off and prosecuted by the RCVS for performing surgery that is not clinically necessary
therefore d) the public do not know what declaw surgery is and it is never an option, if you can't deal with claws you don't get a cat.

I would absolutely love to see the situation in the US change with regard to this. Try pointing out a US study into nutrition or the benefits of indoor life and it's thrown back at you from those who know about it "yes but they amputate their cats toes, we can't take their word for anything regarding health and welfare because they allow this cruelty to continue.... " and really I can easily see why people in the UK have objections to taking advice about any studies coming out of the US when it concerns cat care and welfare while declawing is still allowed. There is no credibility. Whereas there is very valuable info and research coming out of the US in other areas, but you can't get people to take it seriously when what they see as cruelty and abuse is a routine procedure.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

But I don't know whether many people know that there is no specific UK legislation outlawing declawing.
Yes there is. The Animal Welfae Act of 2006 made it illegal. The act outlawed "mutilation" which is defined as a procedure which "involves interference with the sensitive tissues or bone structure of the animal, otherwise than for the purpose of its medical treatment". Declawing of cats is not a named exemption, therefore is included in the definition of mutilation.

But I get your point - prior to that act it was not illegal, and it was not carried out for the reasons you gave. I have not met anyone over here (other than those who frequent international internet forums) who has heard of declawing. Everyone I have mentioned it to (including people who do not have any pets) is horrified by the idea. It's just not part of our culture and never has been.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When we got Zoey from the shelter (private non-profit), I asked them what their stance on declawing was. They said it didn't really matter to them as long as I waited until she was healthy to do anything. Having little knowledge about cats at the time, I could really have used some education about the procedure. I didn't get it from the vet (shelter's vet, not mine) either and still have the list of prices they gave me for spay/declaw procedures.

I've learned a lot about cats in the last 8 months and know enough not to declaw Belle and Delilah. They do scratch the furniture...not a lot, but on occasion (they also use my jeans as a scratching post at times, whilst I am wearing them).
However, because I am educated, I will not declaw. When it comes to buying furniture, I will find something that will hold up and try to use other deterrant tactics.

I think education needs to be the first step. I don't see it being "outlawed" prior to people being educated about what the procedure actually involves. There are a lot of cat lovers/animal lovers out there who do not come onto sites such as this one. Unfortunately, with most vets still providing the service and not educating their clients prior to this, it is hard to get that information out.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HappilyRetired

I think it's the vets who have to change people's minds about this awful practice.
I agree that vets need to be on the forefront of discouraging people from declawing. If they make clear that they don't approve of the practice it would go a long way towards making people think twice about it. But the the situation related in the OPs post shows that nothing short of an outright ban is going to put a stop to it. There will always be those who can convince themselves that there is nothing wrong with the practice.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I'd like to see a big fat old picture of Bea up in all vets offices. I wish I had pics that showed her claws curling back upwards, that showed her in that cage after her surgery....I wish they could see she has no toes, watch her walk with that nasty limp.

You think about what kind of wonderful cat she was, and how the re-declaw changed her....ruined her.

I'm sad to hear this. I never knew a declaw could ruin a cat. Ouch. I never heard of a redeclaw either but it doesn't sound nice. My cats have all their claws.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am waiting to try a new vet here on NE 82nd. It is just across the street from the vet I usually use. At the usual vet you will here things like, "Would you like a declaw with that spay?". As though you're ordering a side of fries with your burger.

The new vet I called and asked about declaw. The young woman who answered the phone hesitated a bit then told me the main doctor there refuses to declaw. They have an associate vet come in on a case-by-case basis. Then she said the associate vet swore to never do another when he finished the last one. Said it made him feel so awful.

I told her based on this, I would give them my business. I hope they are good!

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I too had never heard of de-clawing until I came on here. I just can't believe that people would do it, even consider it. It is totally cruel. I just can't imagine why someone would want to put an animal through something like that, i mean you don't have to be a vet to know that it is painful, unnatural and unnecessary. I am just hopeful that all the kind people on here are doing everything that they can to make sure that it doesn't happen, but again, it is education and as Epona says, the veternary schools should enforce that it should not happen.