Declawing fight !!

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone

My little cousin just got a new kitten and is taking her to get declawed because "She doesn't want her furniture ruined or her kid scratched!!" I have tried every thing, telling her how bad it is- showing her how it is done etc, she is beyond reason and is doing it regardless!! It makes me so sad, this practice should be outlawed and illegal in the US like it is in many countries.  I told her all the facts, how cat bites are worse than little scratches, it is 10 separate amputations etc! And she is insistent. Every argument has been ignored- Any ideas on what else I can say?? I have literally given her 20 reasons it is bad to declaw, and given her probably as many options to help prevent destroyed furniture (scratch posts, nail tips, trimming, etc...)

Anything else I can tell her??

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she seen this video?

It's a bunch of arguments we all know and love, condensed. Plus, Jackson Galaxy is a guy on TV. In this day and age, everyone trusts guys on TV.

I just can't understand why it's so difficult for people to teach their cats appropriate scratching. Most people don't even try...

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I applaude Jackson for making that video. I have it in my favorites to share with other people as needed-- thank you for sharing it

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it's pretty handy because it's far less intimidating than a wall of text or being lectured! Most people shut down when they feel either of those coming.

I actually yanked it from this thread though, so props to @Red Top Rescue or I wouldn't have seen it either. ;)

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Willowy has some good links in her signature, and I believe there's quite a few articles here at TCS about it.

I'm sorry you're going through this.  I think family is the hardest to convince.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll post so you can see the links in my signature, but I think they're also in the TCS article. . .I'll see if I can find it. . .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I showed her the video last week. Seems to be too late as she just texted and said she just picked her up from getting it done! :( Poor kitty

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, poor cat! Hopefully she'll be able to manage any pain and discomfort well for him, and understand what she might have to change if he's uncomfortable with what they have at home now.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Poor thing. I hope the cat does well on the kitty's part- but is it wrong of me to want something to happen to teach the owner a lesson to make her regret the decision?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor thing. I hope the cat does well on the kitty's part- but is it wrong of me to want something to happen to teach the owner a lesson to make her regret the decision?
I'm a terrible person and feel exactly the same way.  The passive-aggressive side of me wants photos of every inch of the furniture and if one mark happens anywhere, throughout this kitten's life...I'd never shut my mouth it.  "Wow, so you you spilled tea on the couch?  Maybe you just should go outside on the porch to drink your tea then." 

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Might make kitty yet another unfortunate surrender situation. :( Maybe they can slam a few fingers in the car door for karma?

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely. Make sure she knows and will teach her child, and other children or visitors, how to read his body language so hopefully that will never happen. Bites suck. I know people who've more often than not wound up in hospital because of them. That bacteria is nasty vicious. We can't do anything now except inform her of what's still in her power to be a good home and a good family for the cat.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some people shouldn't have pets. I think you've done all you could, and it's unfortunate that some people are too dense to listen to common sense. Sadly, it's always the poor animals who pay for our mistakes.

loribeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
awe ...I was sorry to see she had followed through ...if this is how people feel, they should not get kittens ... disturbing

save our paws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS VIDEO!!!!  I love Jackson Galaxy and am thrilled to know that he disapproves of declawing too!

save our paws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish these declaw people would rescue cats that are already maimed rather than declawing others.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents declawed a previous cat and nothing that I said could dissuade them from doing it. When that cat died last year and they adopted a new cat, the shelter gave them a handout with a vet's newspaper column that said declawing causes cats to have something similar to PTSD. I think my parents had to promise not to declaw the cat before they could adopt her. No matter what, they are now convinced that declawing is wrong. I'm sure it helps that their previous cat was never the same after the declawing: she was beyond skittish and erratic, something it has taken them years to admit.