Declawing contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My husband and I compiled a lot of information and wrote an page on reasons not to declaw as well as the safe alternatives.
I do not include tendenectomy as a safe alternative, nor would I approve of any of my kittens having the procedure done.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maherwoman

I do, however, have a second question...how do they enforce these contracts?
I keep in close contact with the families who adopt our kittens. I make sure the family understands the declawing procedures, and understands our contract. For the most part, I have been lucky to meet people who are already educated to the reasons why declawing is wrong.
We begin teaching our kittens appropriate scratching places at an early age, as well as regular nail trims, and so far we haven't had any one have a problem. Now, I have to hope we have no future problems.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've re-read this thread again, looked at the new posts and feel the need to comment once again on this subject.

For anyone who is thinking of getting a cat.......cats come with claws. This is how mother nature has designed these animals. If you have concerns about your furniture being ruined, your kids or yourself being scratched, accidently or otherwise and you don't want to be bothered with trimming the cats nails and training the cat.........why not just get a non-feline pet?

Any form of "de-claw", is a mutilation in my opinion. It is a procedure demanded by the cat owning public, otherwise I don't think many vets would want to do it. They went to school to learn to help animals, not harm them.

De-claw should be the last option for someone who can't afford to be scratched by their cat due to health risks, but can't bear to give up their beloved cat. Beyond that scenario, I can't think of any other good reason to amputate or disable this important part of a cats anatomy.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tigerfanfrv

i'm just giving options. i didn't say i prefered it. its just an alternitive that some vets offer. i suggest talking to your vet about all the options avalible
I suggest that when you are considering getting a cat or kitten...you take all of these concerns under consideration. Again...there is no lack of already declawed cats that are looking for homes.

Katie

jayme&jackson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we got Jackson (As you know) he had to sign a contract, the shelter keeps in contact with our vet, no only for that reason but as well for an illness the cat may have contracted, or injury. The shlter wants to be sure the cat is doing well, and also that he isn't being DECLAWED. I think it's great. They have also asked that I send in pictures of Jackson as he grows!!!
J&J

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The original poster's questions has been answered by many. Further discussion would not be beneficial, and I am now closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.