Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by semiferal

Declawing absolutely is the amputation of all toes at the first knuckle. For a full description of the procedure, go here: http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/sxclub/Onych...%20patient.pdf

This is a document designed for vets that describes exactly how the procedure is done. You will clearly see that it involves severing the toes at the joint, cutting the tendons, ligaments, and joint capsule. It is exactly the same as if someone amputated your fingers at the first knuckle.

I work in the veterinary field. I do know what the surgery is all about.
Ok...yes that is ONE way to do the procedure. It does not, however, as you stated, cut off their toes. The article that I found that describes two different procedures: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...ernatives.html

One procedure is the one you mention, and the other cuts THROUGH the bone (as opposed to cutting off the last/tip joint of the toe, as the procedure you name does).

But I would like to point out, you said it cuts off their TOES, not a JOINT or part of a bone in their toes. As you stated, "Bottom line is that declawing is the amputation of all of their toes." This is what I'm disputing.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maherwoman

Ok...yes that is ONE way to do the procedure. It does not, however, as you stated, cut off their toes. The article that I found that describes two different procedures: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...ernatives.html

One procedure is the one you mention, and the other cuts THROUGH the bone (as opposed to cutting off the last/tip joint of the toe, as the procedure you name does).

But I would like to point out, you said it cuts off their TOES, not a JOINT or part of a bone in their toes. As you stated, "Bottom line is that declawing is the amputation of all of their toes." This is what I'm disputing.
Isn't "toe" vs. "part of the toe" splitting hairs just a bit? Bottom line is that it's an amputation, and it's just as painful to have part of your toe cut off as it is to have the whole toe cut off. If you've ever broken a bone or torn a tendon, you know how painful that is. Now multiply that by eight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by semiferal

Isn't "toe" vs. "part of the toe" splitting hairs just a bit? Bottom line is that it's an amputation, and it's just as painful to have part of your toe cut off as it is to have the whole toe cut off.
Ok, I agree that it would be just as painful. I was merely trying to point out that you exaggerated in your statement, and that if you're going to present something as fact, you should present the actual FACT in your statement.

As I've stated, I don't want to do this to my babies. As I've also stated, in now talking to the other two ladies that replied that have had cats and bunnies, I don't think I'll have to do much of anything. It sounds like all three of them will be just fine.

At any rate, thank you for your concern...but I don't think you really read my post to begin with. I think you saw what I was saying about considering it, and jumped right in with your opinion, which I'd like to state that I actually agree with. I do NOT, however, agree with stating an exaggeration of a fact as something factual.

Bottom line...sorry if I've offended you. I'm a rather blunt person, and really don't put up with exaggeration and scare tactics well. I think life is too short, and full of so much more that we have to deal with at any given time, to fill it with exaggeration, or anything akin. I've known people that exaggerated a lot...and eventually no one believed what they said, because it's basically a lie.

Again, I'm am really sorry if this offends you...but like I said, I don't agree with exaggerating anything, so I WILL state my opinion on it. It is really something I do not take lightly in the slightest.

P.S. How is it "splitting hairs" when you're comparing removing one joint (or part of it) to removing all three??

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maherwoman

P.S. How is it "splitting hairs" when you're comparing removing one joint (or part of it) to removing all three??
Because, as I said, it is amputation no matter what. It is extremely painful no matter what.

If someone told you that they'd lost a finger in an accident, would you accuse them of exaggerating because they still had part of their finger left? It's really just as big a deal no matter what!

And if you were the cat, would it make you feel better to know that they're only cutting off part of your toe as opposed to the whole thing? I doubt it.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The original question posted has been answered and I am now locking this thread. Further discussion of the declawing procedure woudl not be productive at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.