Declawing Alternates

ktmn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Re: de-clawing alternates.
We have been working with Freddie, attempting to get her used to regular nail trimming and encouraging her to scratch in appropriate places...
But we're having absolutely no luck, she loses her mind if we trim even the tiniest amount. Not really a huge issue, as my living room set was quite dated, but I have just been given a lovely, and fairly expensive new couch, for a birthday gift by my mother.
I was wondering what you all thought about the nail caps?

I was thinking that if we capped the front we could continue to work with her back paws to help acclimate her to her mani-pedi needs at her own pace, without having to worry about the new furniture?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Applying nail caps requires clipping the nails closely then holding the caps on while the glue dries. If she won't let you even clip her nails I think you'd have major difficulty applying caps. Groomers and vets will apply them if you're willing to take her in.

How do you hold her when you clip? Some cats hate the restraint more than the actual clipping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ktmn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I generally move myself, not her, to try to clip. I wait until she's comfy and then try to do as many as can before she gets feisty.

It's so weird, she is the most affectionate cat I have ever met, belly rubs, paw rubs ...anything makes her purr, but try to clip the tiniest bit of a nail and she's so upset that she actually even hissed (the only time she's ever done that in a house with a toddler and a dog who are very interested!)

We'll keep her out of the room and ask our vet to help when we go for our 1st Mom and kitten check up. Thanks for your help!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I generally move myself, not her, to try to clip. I wait until she's comfy and then try to do as many as can before she gets feisty.

It's so weird, she is the most affectionate cat I have ever met, belly rubs, paw rubs ...anything makes her purr, but try to clip the tiniest bit of a nail and she's so upset that she actually even hissed (the only time she's ever done that in a house with a toddler and a dog who are very interested!)

We'll keep her out of the room and ask our vet to help when we go for our 1st Mom and kitten check up. Thanks for your help!
I really do hope this with declawing was just a little though taken as an example for your desperation.   Nobody of us here does like declawing.

These  nail caps are the lesser evil here, if you dont manage to clip.

But I see you do have your tricks!   Some breeders I know of do wrap in their  stud like in a toga.  Being wrapped up he is immobilized and helpless, and thus, let himself be nail-clipped.    Another trick of trade is to cover their eyes and head.  Like falconers do with birds of prey.   I know some vets use this trick too, to cover their eyes.  If you can be two, one can hold, and even scruff her neck, the others is clipping.

So there are may tricks to try with!!!

What you tell about her, the affecionate, friendly cat, but is hissing and threating while you shall trim her nails.

This reminds me of our oldest resident.   Very friendly male. " Let him to a wound and it will heal."

But he hates nail trimming.  He meows protesting, pretends he shall bite.  He never bites, but pretends quite well...

Yes, we are always two to trim him.  One holding, one trimming.

Last edited:

ktmn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks StephenZ!
We are not considering declawing. From everything I've read, it seems highly undesirable...to the point of cruelty.

In the articles on this site about training where to scratch, they mentioned also using a repellant spray. Does anyone have any experience using these detterent spray products? Are they helpful?

Almost as cute as a kitten pics, here's the belly today!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a variety of things for her to claw on?  And sometimes it helps to ut what she loves to claw (a specific cat scratcher) near the couch so you'll choose the scratcher instead.

Mine get wiggly about their claws too, so I gave up clipping mine.  But they love their 3 scratchers and cat tree with scratchers.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with trying other types of scratchers. Our cats will just walk into a cardboard box and scratch at it (even the smooth ones), so we got them a corrugated cardboard scratcher/toy and that's their go to. If cats don't like one type, they may just need to try others - short carpet, longer carpet, vertical, horizontal, slanted, and they even have curved ones like those cat Emery Boards in the "as seen on TV" infomercials.

While I don't have experience with deterrent sprays, you could try deterring textures. Foil, sandpaper, tape. If you're concerned about anything sticky damaging your furniture, you could try a low-tack tape like painter's or masking tape. A lot of cats tend to back off when they first touch something unpleasant so it's a bit of a toss up whether they'll leave at that point or still try to scratch anyway.

ktmn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Wanted to add a picture of the only non-furniture thing she's taken a liking to. Other than this she sticks to the backs of couches and chairs and has not shown an interest in her standard carpeted cat scratcher...aside from finding the treats I hide on it. ;)

After reading the great info above, I know now that she's a horizontal scratcher, who likes thick material over plush, and that one natural grass mat.

If anyone has any info/websites to find different types of scratchers I would be eternally grateful!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, you could do worse than getting her some carpet squares.  Carpet places may have small squares for free.

Here's the cardboard scratchers I got:  http://www.valuepetsupplies.com/hagen-catit-style-scratcher-w-catnip-urban-bench.html  The cats make a mess and there's little cardboard bits near the scratchers but my couch and recliner are left alone!  I get my cats their Vet's Best Hairball Relief tabs from the same place, $19 worth of merchandise gets you free shipping.